Thanks to Ottolenghi, this roasted aubergine (eggplant recipe) with lemon yoghurt is a more recent favourite roasted vegetable recipe for OH.
He particularly likes it with grilled lamb cutlets and a nutty lemon couscous salad.
The yoghurt sauce really makes this dish so start with a very good quality Greek yoghurt and thin it down to your desired consistency with olive oil, lemon juice and a little bit of milk.
We ate it recently in fact, when we had had a big day out seeing friends, and knew we would be knackered but also had people to supper when we came back. So we didn’t have much time but wanted to impress. So we roasted the aubergine as well as make the lemon yoghurt in advance. So all we had to do was grill the cutlets and prepare the couscous (which is as much trouble as boiling a kettle of water).
- For the roasted aubergines
- 2 large and long aubergines (eggplant)
- 30ml olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Seeds of 1 pomegranate
- For the garlic lemon sauce
- 250g Greek yogurt
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-4 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 180C / 200C / 400F / gas 6.
- Cut the aubergines (eggplants) in half lengthways without removing the green stalk.
- Make about four deep parallel incisions in the cut side of the aubergine, but don’t go as deep as the skin. Then turn the aubergine at a 45-degree angle and do another four cuts to create a diamond pattern.
- Line a tray with baking parchment and add on the aubergines cut side up.
- Brush the aubergines with the oil until all the oil has been soaked into the flesh.
- Season with salt, pepper and thyme and roast for about 35 mins until they are well browned (but not burnt).
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool.
- While the aubergines are roasting in the oven prepare the lemon yoghurt sauce. Combine all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce and mix well. Add a little extra milk if the sauce is too think and a little extra lemon if not lemony enough.
- Chill yoghurt sauce in fridge whilst waiting for aubergines to roast and cool.
- Spoon yoghurt sauce over the cut sides of the aubergines and top with pomegranate seeds.