This quick, easy and very healthy rainbow vegetable wrap was made by the mini chefs during our second cooking session in the run up to Food Revolution Day. They had such fun putting the vegetables through the food processor, practising their grating and cutting with a whole load of eating. Best of all was arranging the colourful layers of vegetables on the plate (youngest) and making up the wrap (eldest). I predict a summer of vegetable wraps, carrot sticks, yoghurt dips and fun, fun, fun.
Just to remind you this global day is all about getting kids to see the fun in cooking and to help them make healthy eating choices in the future. This is especially relevant as children who learn to cook before the age of eight are likely to prepare as many as five meals a week from scratch in the future. Please do check out my previous post about making our yoghurt dip for food revolution day 2014 and all the ways you can participate. Jamie Oliver will be hosting a live cooking session on the day which we will be joining along in. Plus OH will be planting some basil seeds as well as a row of beans with the kids.
So please join me in getting kids excited about food on May 16th 2014 – Food Revolution Day #FRD2014!
And now for the super colourful, crunchy, proudly made, quick and easy rainbow vegetable wrap all served up with a refreshing yoghurt dip….
PS add in some grilled chicken to make this a chicken wrap.
Here are what some other food bloggers are doing on the day.
Ren from Ren Behan made this gorgeous plum cake with her kids.
Louisa from Eat your veg has made these easy cheesy muffins with her mini chefs.
- For the wrap:
- 2 carrots
- 200g (7oz) red cabbage
- 2 red (bell) peppers
- Handful of chives (or lettuce leaves)
- 8 tortillas
- For the yoghurt dip:
- 150g (5oz) plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp mild paprika
- Salt to taste
- Make the vegetable filling:h
- Remove the ends of the carrots and coarsely grate with a box grater taking care to stop just before finger tips get very close to the grater. Add the carrots to a bowl.
- Coarsely grate the cabbage with the same grater (or slice with a knife) and add a bowl.
- Split into the pepper and remove the seeds.
- Carefully slice the pepper into strips lengthwise and add to the bowl.
- Add the chives or lettuce leaves t the bowl.
- Now make the yoghurt dressing:
- Add the ingredients with only half of the lemon juice into a bowl and mix away.
- Check if the rest of the lemon juice is necessary and adjust the seasoning.
- Make the tortilla wrap:
- Spread out the tortilla wraps and add on as much of each vegetable as you would like.
- Top with a generous dollop of the yoghurt dressing and wrap the tortillas and serve.