Hold on to your hats folks – pumpkin craze is about to hit town.
And my orange vegetable obsession means that I will certainly be joining in with a pumpkin recipe or two. Or three.
Step one – clear out all my leftover pumpkin to make way for the new.
Step 2 – use said pumpkin puree in as many dishes as possible over the weekend.
And what a weekend it was. One of the recipes I tried was a creamy pumpkin pasta sauce. This turned into a ready in 20 mins macaroni and cheese, with pasta covered in a pumpkin and cream cheese sauce all topped with crunchy hazelnuts. Left over pumpkin has never tasted so good.
Of course, butternut and other squashes work just as well as pumpkin, and like most things, it can be even better if you add some crispy bacon or bits of leftover ham.
Happy pumpkin craze folks.
Below are some other pumpkin recipes you might like.
- 50g (1/3) cup hazelnuts
- 600g (1.3lb) pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 large spring onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 12 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 4 tbsp water
- 6 tbsp Parmesan
- 6 tbsp cream cheese
- 120ml (1/2 cup) water
- 3 tbsp chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4.
- Roast the hazelnuts for about 8 mins until lightly golden. Then set aside to cool before peeling the skins off and roughly chopping them.
- Whilst the hazelnuts are roasting, boil the pasta according to the packet instructions, drain when done and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot and add in the spring onions and garlic and cook for about 1 min until the onions are soft.
- Then add in the pumpkin puree and 4 tbsp of water followed by the cheeses and mix well.
- Then stir in the pasta and the rest of the water, mix till everything is well coated and warmed through.
- Serve the pasta topped with the hazelnuts and chives and a fresh green salad.