I will be getting some of my Easter sweet treats via these sumptuous chocolate orange muffins. The rest of my treats will be via all the Easter egg hunts that granny and Freddy are going to be organising. Guess who is going to be in the middle of things with the biggest egg basket?
You can easily bake this recipe as chocolate orange cupcakes for your kiddoes tea party and serve them along some children’s tea (roiboos in our case). I also have a plan to try this as a chocolate orange cake with some whipped cream frosting all topped with orange zest. One day people, one day.
But for now here is how to make chocolate orange muffins. Go forth, bake and enjoy.
- 75g (1/3 cup) butter
- 250g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 4-5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 100ml (1/3 cup + 2 tsp) orange juice
- 100ml (1/3 cup + 2 tsp) milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 180C / 200C / 400F / gas 6.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tray.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Combine the orange juice and milk in another bowl and mix in the egg and cooled melted butter.
- Add the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until barely combined. Note the batter will be thick and lumpy.
- Spoon the muffin batter equally into the muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.