Ok folks, confession time. I really, really, really love walking in the woods this time of the year, loosing myself in wild garlic (ramsons, ramps) smells and surveying my long ago tiny planted but now fully spread out wild garlic patch. All the while back patting, recipe planning and wild garlic queen me calling. Is that weird?
Say no and we will be friends for ever.
This soup was just the thing I needed to warm up after a particularly cold wild garlic surveying session. Especially as it is very quick to put together whilst being loaded with a riot of flavours. Just think nutty farro, garlicky wild garlic, tahini and some sweetness from toasted almonds and pomegranate seeds.
Do not be tempted to skip the lemony tahini sauce as this absolutely completes the soup. The soup is very adaptable and the wild garlic can be easily replaced with other greens like spinach, kale or chard.
Before I share the recipe for this soup can I please tell you a little bit about being on Yummly?
Yummly is a recipe platform with tons of recipes from all over the web. What is great is that you can easily filter the recipes by options such as ingredient, diet, allergy, holiday, nutrition, cuisine, time etc.
You can also save recipes that you like in your own personal recipe box, organize them into recipe collections and share them with your friends. And if you set up your taste profile with your unique preferences, diets, and allergies Yummly will only show you the relevant recipes.
I also really like the see what you can cook now option where you the “with” and “without” filters to discover recipes to make with what you have to hand. Genius right?
Please go check out my page on Yummly and whilst you are there please give my recipes a yum or two. I would be your bestest friend for ever.
Now back to the soup.
This is the first recipe in my pantry staple spotlight on wild garlic. Please be sure to check the others out.
- 750ml (3 cups) vegetable (or chicken stock if not vegan)
- 150g (5.3oz) semi-pearled farro or pearl barley
- 2 large handfuls of wild garlic (ramsons, ramps) shredded
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Lemon juice to your taste
- A handful of salad cress
- A handful of toasted almond flakes
- A handful of pomegranate seeds
- Heat up the stock in a saucepan, add the farro, bring to the boil and let simmer for about 10-12 according to the packet instructions.
- Just before the farro is done, add in the wild garlic and let simmer for a couple of mins until the leaves are wilted and then switch off the heat.
- Whisk together the tahini and lemon juice until the mixture takes a hummus-like consistency.
- Serve the soup in bowls topped with the lemon tahini, cress, almonds and pomegranate.