Do you know you can make slow cooker granola ? I know I should not be surprised, but I still got rather excited when I saw some slow cooker granola recipes on pinterest. There and then, the idea of a slow cooker vanilla coconut cranberry granola was born.
So armed with plenty of enthusiasm and our trusty Multicooker Redmond, Miss M and I proceeded to make various versions of slow cooker granola. We made a plain granola just to try it out, we made spiced apple granola coz we could and then this slow cooker vanilla coconut cranberry granola, because I really, really wanted to.
A few tips on how to make granola in a slow cooker.
- Oil the slow cooker generously including in the seams, before adding in the oats.
- Leave the slow cooker lid open so that the moisture escapes and the oats get crispy. I did this by putting a very thin wooden spoon between the lid of the Multicooker Redmond and the bowl and added a weight on the lid to keep it down.
- Stir the granola every 30 minutes until done ie when you get crispy golden oats.
- Spread the granola on a baking tray to cool, before storing in an airtight container.
- If you want to add dried fruits and nuts, then stir them in as the granola is cooling down.
PS. I know that I keep going on about how much I love my Multicooker Redmond. Thing is, I really, really do. I use it non stop to bake, cook rice, make drinks like this slow cooker spiced pear juice, make curries like this slow cooker duck and plantain curry and now this slow cooker granola. You need one in your life.
So here is how to make slow cooker granola. Enjoy every mouthful.
- For the syrup
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- 1.5 tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp salt
- For the oats
- 250g (8.8oz) oats
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 tbsp toasted shredded coconut
- 5 tbsp toasted almond flakes
- 5 tbsp sweetened dried cranberries
- Add the syrup ingredients together in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 20 sec, take out and mix until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats and cinnamon, before adding in the syrup and mixing well.
- Switch the Multicooker Redmond on and thoroughly oil the bowl.
- Add the granola into the bowl and partially cover the lid (you will have to use thin wooden spoon or chopstick to keep it open with a weight on top of the lid. This allows the moisture to escape).
- Select slow cook and set the time for 3 hrs. Cook until the oats are crispy golden ( 2.5-3 hrs) making sure to mix the granola every 30 mins.
- Switch the Multicooker off, pour the granola in a thin layer on baking tray,, mix in coconut, almonds and cranberries and allow to cool completely, before storing in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.