You will absolutely LOVE these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries. They are super versatile and thanks to the air fryer, this recipe is quick and easy! You will get crispy sweet potato fries perfection every time.
Suitable for Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole 30 and Vegan dieters. Post includes Weight Watchers points.
Folks, I am obsessed with my air fryer recently. It’s giving me delicious comfort foods I normally steer clear of because of its high calorie content.
The air fryer is a little magic machine that uses 2 tbsp of oil or cooking spray max, a high powered fan and crispy and crunchy food comes out every single time. It really is amaaaaaaaaaazing.
Recently I was working in the garden and feeling a bit peckish. And then I had a vision. A big beautiful plate of bright orange Sweet Potato Fries. Perfectly crispy and with the exact right amount of seasoning.
I knew I had to have them and have them fast. I made my way to the kitchen, and without even removing my wellies I grabbed a couple potatoes out of the pantry and headed straight to the air fryer.
Sweet Potato Fries are one of my family’s favourite side dishes especially for burgers, sandwiches or just about any chicken recipe you can come up with. But sweet potato fries are tricky to master.
Typically, I make oven baked sweet potato fries but it takes about 30 mins for the chips to cook and crisp up using the oven. The air fryer does it in half the time and it comes out crispier without the use of cornstarch. Yaye!
The air fryer also does a much better job with getting the fries crispy. Oh, I went there. If you’re looking for restaurant quality crunchy sweet potato fries with none of the guilt you need to try sweet potato fries in the air fryer.
And this recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner when you need a quick bite to eat that is healthy and that you know the kids will just eat right up without fuss.
Minimal ingredients and minimal prep work. Peeps, you can use what you have in your pantry and spice or sweeten the sweet potato fries how you please.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Tools
KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES NEEDED
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my disclosure.
Here are some of the items you will need to make this recipe.
- This Air Fryer is perfect for cooking your food.
- Use these measuring teaspoons for your seasonings.
- Sea Salt Flakes <= amazing salt that makes your food taste good.
- You need this awesome sharp knife for cutting your fries.
- Use this fun and colourful cutting board.
- These handy mixing bowls are good for mixing up the Sweet Potato Fries.
- I love these tongs for turning the sweet potato fries.
- Bowls with covers.
- Store leftover food in these bowls.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Tips
- Add just one layer of chips. And no touching so the air fryer can work its magic.
- For even cooking turn halfway through. This will allow the air to move freely to cook and crisp up both sides of your fries evenly.
- Spice, spice and more spice. Yeap cinnamon and sugar might be a classic but sweet potatoes also work sooooooooo well with a little heat. If you’re into spicy food and not cooking for the little ones go ahead and add some more flavour.
- Cut uniform chips. Really get each chip as close to the same size as possible. Your food will cook more evenly and you won’t end up with overcooked or undercooked pieces of sweet potato.
- Running low on time? You can buy an already cut prepackaged sweet potato at the store if you wish. It’ll work great in a pinch.
Different Ways to Season Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Just one of the many reasons I looooooooove sweet potatoes. You can eat them a little spicy, a little sweet or somewhere in between. And these are all pantry staples which makes the sweet potato fries even better.
Paprika: My favourite spice on Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries is paprika. Paprika has a little hint of sweetness with a kick that makes it the perfect companion to the already sweet fry.
Garlic: Garlic on Air Fryer Sweet Potato fries is a must try. During the cooking process, garlic will sweeten up a bit complimenting the sweet potato.
Cinnamon and Sugar: If you’re looking for a sweeter sweet potato fry that would be perfect for an after school snack try a teaspoon of brown sugar with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Some other seasonings to try are Cajun, Creole, Cumin and Curry. I love my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with a little kick of spice.
And don’t forget these fries will be perfect for dipping. Check out my “Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries” for a garlic chili mayo that is sooooooooo good and comes together really quickly too.
Why You Need Evenly Cut Fries
Okay folks, pay attention because this could make or break your first attempt at Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries. You can cut your fries to whatever thickness you desire but they need to be cut roughly the same size to cook evenly. Your cook time will depend on the thickness of your pieces.
- For thicker fries cook between 8-14 mins or until cooked thru and crispy round the edges.
- For finer fries, like mine, it can take as little as 6 mins.
It’s so important to check your Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries halfway through cooking to ensure you’re on the right track. It took me a handful of times to get this recipe right but this one is the real deal and soooooo worth it.
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
If you prefer to make oven baked sweet potato fries I have a delicious recipe with paprika and a garlic chili mayonnaise that you will looooooooove. Check out my “Baked Sweet Potato Fries” recipe.
Nutrition in Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are one of those ingredients that make you think you’re eating something you shouldn’t be. It’s why kids rave about sweet potatoes and you sit back and enjoy the sight of them eating a healthy vegetable. They’re really filling and contain so many nutrients.
A medium sweet potato contains 112 calories, 26g of carbs, 4g of fiber, 0g of fat and 5g of sugar that will release sugar slowly without causing a spike in your blood sugar level. Sweet potatoes contain Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, potassium, magnesium and fiber which all have proven health benefits for your sight, immune system, brain, heart and cholesterol.
Are Sweet Potatoes Paleo?
Yes! Sweet potatoes are considered Paleo because they are low on the glycemic index and contain high amounts of fiber, potassium, Vitamin A and beta carotene, minerals and are low in sodium.
Even though they’re a starchy vegetable, unlike the white potato, they have so many benefits that outweigh any negative. Sweet potatoes do contain sugar but their effect on your blood sugar level will be slow and steady as opposed to a rapid spike.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Other Air Fryer Recipes
Weight Watchers Points in Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
There are 3 Freestyle Points in a serving of Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries.
Thank you for reading my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 (5 oz) sweet potatoes
- cooking spray
- Peel and cut each sweet potato into even 1/4 inch thick fries.
- Mix olive oil and salt and toss the sweet potato fries to thoroughly coat.
- Preheat air fryer to 400F / 200C / Gas 6 and lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Cook in batches (one layer), between 8 mins (thin fries) – to 14 mins (thick fries), flipping the fries half way through the cooking time.
- Air fryers vary in temperature so start with a small amount of sweet potato fries.
- Add just one layer of fries to the basket for cooking and make sure fries are not touching.
- Cut uniform chips to cook all fries evenly.
- For even cooking turn halfway through to allow even cooking on both sides.
- Try with a different variety of spices
- You can buy an already cut prepackaged sweet potato at the store if short on time.