I think this spiced apple granola is the perfect way to welcome the autumn. Especially as it is full of warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. And of course – apples.
I am lucky enough to be surrounded by a lot of apple trees, so we have been busy picking up windfalls, and taking wheelbarrows of them to make juice (and cider too – we have gallons slowly fermenting away in the sheds). And the good ones are picked and stored. But that still leaves plenty for eating. And this year, we’ve had more apples than we could possibly eat, so I’ve been cooking lots with them.
This time of year, you also start to want more substantial breakfasts. Out with a slice of toast and in with granola, porridge and full fry-ups. Today I want to tell you about the apple granola that I and the children have made (they particularly love the mixing bit, as well as trying it at all stages).
This is not too sweet – I like my granola that way. But you could double the syrup mixture. Feel free to make this in bulk and eat some for breakfast, for a healthier snack and topped with yoghurt and fruit for a dessert. It is all good.
Coconut almond granola from Blahnik Baker.
Big cluster peanut butter granola from Pinch of Yum.
Granola hazelnut chocolate chip cookies from Marmaduke Scarlet.
Spiced Apple Granola
For the syrup
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the oats
- 250 g (9oz) oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 apple peeled and diced they need to be a tiny bit smaller than 1 cm cubed, or they won't dry properly
- 6 tbsp almond flakes
- 4 tbsp dried fruits optional
- Mix syrup ingredients together in a pot and warm gently on the cooker until combined.
- Stir the spices and apple into the oats.
- Heat the oven to fan assisted 120C / 140C / 275F / gas 1.
- Add the syrup to the oat mix and combine thoroughly.
- Spread oats in a thin layer on baking tray (you might need two trays) and bake for 20 mins.
- Then add in the nuts, mix again and bake for another 20 mins.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Stir in fruits if you are using and serve.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.