The asparagus frittata with and feta cheese that you see in that picture was part of the brunch I served a cousin and her other half on Easter monday.
We had such fun notwithstanding the stereotypical division of labor on that day. ‘The girls’ stayed indoors and cooked and chatted about kids and life in general. The boys on the other hand were outside doing dangerous things with trees, saws and bonfires. All the mini chefs were wearing tea-towels on their heads, so that they could be pirates while they watched their pirate TV programme.
Anyway the frittata was accompanied by wild garlic pesto, tomatoes, sliced Wensleydale and blue cheese, homemade malted granary and oat bread, and apple and grape salad. All apart from the bread was prepared and cooked in less than 25 mins.
Frittatas are a good go-to dish when looking for something quick and easy for brunch or supper. And in my kitchen they are part of the normal breakfast routine. Store cupboard staples eggs form the base of this dish whilst the fillings can be anything you have in your pantry / fridge or whatever is in season. Seriously courgettes, beans, peas, swiss chard etc. You name it, it can pretty much be in it.
I love cooking frittatas just because I feel that there is something much more exciting about a dish that is finished under the grill. Or maybe I just feel kinda grown up when I do them and can show off my lovely cast iron frying pan.
Some of my favourite fritatta recipes in addition to this one:
- Mini Baked Yogurt and Spinach Frittatas For Yogurt Week
- Pear and Apple Frittata with Walnuts, Goats cheese and Honey
- Mini Baked Plantain Frittata
This Asparagus Frittata with Feta and Thyme recipe is excitingly donated to my friend Janie who blogs over at The HedgeCombers. She is running the fun Project Egg for which foodies are contributing their favorite egg recipes. When complete you will be able to download a free ebook with tons of lovely egg recipes including this one from her site. In the meantime go check her and her yummy recipes out.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Asparagus Frittata with Feta and Thyme! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Asparagus Frittata with Feta and Thyme
- Pre-heat the grill /broiler.
- Remove woody stems from the asparagus and chop spears into 4 portions.
- Whilst vegetables are frying break eggs in a large bowl.
- When the asparagus and onion mixture is cooked pour the egg mixture into the frying pan and gently mix everything together and allow to cook on medium heat until the frittata starts to set.
- Then transfer the cast iron pan to the grill and cook top of the frittata till it is set on top and slightly golden.