This Creamy Mushroom Asparagus Pasta recipe is an easy comforting meal the whole family will love. It is made with everyday ingredients, vegetarian and quick aka ready in only 20 mins — but full of flavor!
This easy Mushroom Asparagus Pasta is SO good! It is simple, tasty, comforting, over-the-top delicious and made with everyday pantry ingredients. This Asparagus Mushroom Pasta is the perfect quick recipe for any night of the week as it is ready in only 20 mins!!!
Some days you just need simple. Simple as in this creamy Mushroom Asparagus Pasta recipe.
The sort of Asparagus Mushroom pasta recipe that anyone can whip up in a jiffy (and I show you how to easily cook it further below), which makes it the perfect quick pasta recipe for any weeknights, impromptu drop-ins, lunch and for pasta, mushroom and asparagus lovers.
This creamy pasta with asparagus and mushrooms recipe gives you a restaurant quality pasta dish in the comfort of your very own home.
This quick and easy pasta meal, involves minimal prep time, eevryday ingredients and is ready in as little as 20 minutes, making it a great recipe the entire family will love for dinner tonight.
The delicious cheesy sauce (with its secret ingredient) really complements the asparagus and pasta and is on constant rotation during the spring months.
Why Make This Recipe
- Reduce waste – This is great for using leftover mushrooms and leftover asparagus.
- Economical – It is made from simple everyday ingredients you probably already own.
- It is family approved. This creamy vegetarian recipe is soooo good that everyone will love it.
- Pasta – this recipe uses penne but use whichever shape you prefer
- Asparagus – this recipe calls for fresh asparagus. Please do remove the woody asparagus stalks.
- Oil – use extra virgin olive oil or which ever vegetable oil you prefer.
- Mushrooms – make sure these are cleaned and sliced
- Green onion – using spring onions / scallions make this quick cooking.
- Garlic – you can use minced garlic or garlic powder.
- Stock – use vegetable stock but feel free to use chicken stock if not vegetarian.
- Dairy – this recipe uses heavy cream (double cream) and freshly grated Parmesan cheese for creaminess and taste. Grated cheese will melt in much easier.
- Citrus – the secret ingredient is fresh orange juice which lifts up the flavor.
- Herbs – garnish with herbs of your choice like chopped cilantro or fresh parsley.
- Salt and pepper – add salt and freshly ground pepper to your taste.
(Fun fact: This is one of my most popular posts, having been pinned over 125,000 times on Pinterest. I guess I’m not the only one who loves really good and really easy pasta recipes.)
How to Make Mushroom Asparagus Pasta
Get the complete ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water according to package instructions. About 4 minutes before the pasta is done add asparagus. When the pasta is done (al dente), drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mushrooms into and sauté until soft.
- Add the spring onion and garlic and cook.
- Reduce heat and add the vegetable stock and cream and simmer.
- Mix in the Parmesan cheese till melted and stir in the orange juice.
- Mix in the pasta and asparagus and season well.
- Serve warm.
Asparagus Mushroom Pasta Tips
- Feel free to use a mixture of your favorite mushrooms.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean form any dirt before slicing.
- Do cut off the woody stems from the asparagus.
- If you want a bit more liquid sauce, add in a little pasta water when cooking.
- This is great for using leftover mushrooms and leftover asparagus.
- Vary the pasta – use other shapes like bowtie pasta, , fusilli etc.
- Vary the citrus – ad in some fresh lemon juice for a slightly sharper flavor.
- Add more herbs – like fresh thyme, oregano etc
- Add extra vegetables – add in some broccoli.
- Add heat – using mustard, red pepper flakes, cayenne or chipotle.
- Add crunch – top with nuts like pine nuts.
- Prep Ahead – This can be cooked up to a few days in advance and reheated.
- Store – Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
This Mushroom and Asparagus Pasta Is A Lighter Pasta
I wanted this to be a healthier Mushroom Asparagus Pasta so I replaced half of the cream with stock. It still worked really, really well.
It’s so easy to make this into a gluten-free pasta dish. Simply replace the regular pasta with the gluten-free pasta of your choice.
More Asparagus Recipes
More Mushroom Recipes
If you like mushroom you could try these below.
- Air Fryer Mushroom Steaks.
- Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast.
- Creamy Mushroom Chicken.
- Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms.
- Gluten Free Mushroom Pasta recipe,
- Tanzanian inspired mushroom curry,
- 10 min weeknight mushroom ramen
Yeap, there are a whole lot of asparagus recipes and mushroom recipes on this blog.
More Pasta recipes
- Creamy Instant Pot Rasta Pasta Version
- 15 minute Lemon Pasta.
- Caribbean Rasta Pasta.
- 10 Minutes Lemon Garlic Pasta Recipe.
My previous musings
So recently I have a rather unexpected and very welcome date. Freddy took the day off work and since the kids were at school, I had no major deadlines and the sun and was out, we decided to have an indulgent ‘us’ day.
So we went for a rather long walk like we used to pre-kids. The walk that took us through fields full of oilseed rape and barley, through meadows full of sheep with their not so newborn lambs that I was convinced looked at me a bit funny, via woods completely carpeted by bluebells (they are purple not blue).
We continued along woods completely covered in wild garlic, thought the kissing gate (the one Freddy always opens for me with a kiss), along hedges lined with stunning stag head oaks and all the way back home.
I missed those walks and being able to enjoy the stunning countryside just because.
When we finally stumbled back in, I wanted to cook us a quick easy meal – so out came the mushrooms, spring onions, asparagus, orange juice, stock, cheese and cream…
………..and about 20 mins later lunch aka a creamy asparagus mushroom pasta recipe was done. So, so good.
Thank you for reading my Mushroom Asparagus Pasta recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Post previously published May 2017.
Get The Mushroom Asparagus Pasta Recipe:
Don’t forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Mushroom Asparagus Pasta! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Mushroom Asparagus Pasta
- 250 g (8.8 oz) pasta
- 150 g asparagus, woody stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g (8.8oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 180 ml (0.75 cup) vegetable stock
- 180 ml (0.75 cup) double cream
- 100 g (1 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp orange juice (good quality orange juice)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Cook the pasta according to packet directions. About 4 mins before the pasta is done add in the asparagus. When the pasta is done, drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and sauté the mushrooms for about 10 mins until soft.
- Add in the spring onion and garlic and cook for a couple of mins
- Reduce the heat to low, add the vegetable stock followed by the cream and mix until well combined, bring to a simmer before adding in the Parmesan cheese and mixing till melted. Stir in the orange juice.
- Mix in the pasta and asparagus, season well and switch off the heat.
- Top with the coriander before serving.