I am kicking off my series of summer recipes with this Baked Chicken – Sierra Leone style.
None of my Sierra Leonean picnics has been complete without this baked chicken. Seriously, none. It is one of the easiest ever chicken recipes and mini chef absolutely loves this.
A few years ago I was lucky enough to go home to Sierra Leone for a whole month. On my last night there, I hosted an impromptu bbq for which I roped my sisters into doing all the cooking =D . Well apart from this chicken as the pleasure of making this one is always all mine. We ate good food and danced the night away under the stars to old and new West African beats (thank you P-square and Emerson ). Then as we packed our bags to leave for the airport my sisters threw in a surprise food parcel for the journey. Knowing how much I loved this chicken they had set some aside for us to have a picnic at the airport. Oh the memories.
The key to getting this right is to let the chicken marinate for a few hours (preferably overnight) before cooking. Do not add any extra salt to this as there is enough salt in the seasoning already. Although this chicken recipe calls for baking you could easily bake it about 5 mins less than required and throw it on grill for some of that extra smoky flavour. This goes perfectly with plantains and coleslaw.
You can of course vary the spices you put in to your taste but this combination right here, well this is just straight up good baked chicken from my Sierra Leonean kitchen.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Baked Chicken Sierra Leone Style! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Baked Chicken Sierra Leone Style
- 10 chicken thighs skin removed
- 1 large jumbo stock cube
- Ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp all purpose seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/4 tsp finely minced ginger optional
- Scotch bonnet chilli finely chopped optional
- In a glass bowl combine all the ingredients including 1 tbsp of oil and let marinate for a few hours and even overnight if time permits.
- Pre-heat oven to fan assisted 180C/ 200C/ 400F/ Gas6.
- Coat a baking tray with some oil.
- Add the chicken mixture to the baking tray and bake for about 20 mins or until the chicken in cooked through.
- Serve with some rice, plantain or coleslaw and tomatoes.