I have been looking for a way to make the well loved Sierra Leonean binch akara dish (aka bean pancakes) in a baked version. And these savoury bean cakes bursting with flavour are one of the ways I do this.
I do try and make baked versions of fried food as much as I can as I feel that the recipe is a little bit healthier. Too much food guilt flying around obviously. However, that does not mean I don’t go for the full on deep frying version as well – there are times when I just need some of that fried food comfort. Know what I mean?
This is also a fusion recipe as Sierra Leonean bean cake recipes don’t normally have coriander or herbs in them. But I think these flavour work well together. I have used bean flour instead of starting with dried black eyed beans. But I hope you agree with me that this shortcut version works rather well.
Here are some other black eyed bean recipes.
Black eyed bean and sweet potato stew.
Stewed beans and chorizo.
How to cook black eyed beans.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Baked Savory Bean Cakes! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Baked Savory Bean Cakes
- 400 g (2 cups) black eyed bean flour
- 1 onion minced
- 1/4 scotch bonnet chilli minced or to taste
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 4 tbsp finely chopped coriander cilantro
- 1/2 maggi cube or other stock cube
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 120-240 ml (1/2 -1 cup) water plus extra to your taste
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 170C / 190C / 375 F / gas 5.
- Grease a lined baking tray and set aside.
- Add in 60ml (1/4 cup) of water at a time gently mixing to create a nice smooth batter which is a bit thicker than pancake batter.
- Then bake the bean cakes for up to 25 minutes or until the cakes are cooked through and are a nice golden brown colour.
- Serve them with some gravy or sweet chilli dip.
- I recommend that the first time you make these, use less chilli and salt (as maggi cube has some slat in it) if you are unsure and bake only 1 cake at the start, try out the texture and taste. Then adjust water and seasoning till you are happy and then bake the rest.