I took inspiration from our Brazilian family friend who hosts the most amazing barbeques. The heart of his gatherings involves family, music, some sport and very good cuts of meat. Plus some of my favourite summery flavour combinations of lemons, tomatoes, coconut, limes, chilli, garlic, rice, fruit and black beans. Kind of like how we do it in Sierra Leone.
So easy- grilled chilli lemon beef skewers it was. Well, in this case, grilled venison skewers as that was we found in the freezer. The whole barbeque was a joint effort. I made a simple marinade of olive oil, salt and the garlic and chilli flavour pots from Knorr. The mini chefs helped me load up the lemons and meat on the skewers. J gathered wood and twigs from the woods. SJ picked salad leaves and radishes from the kitchen garden. OH was of course in charge of the barbequing and the music with a lot of direction from the kiddoes. Lovely organised chaos.
I served the sizzling hot lemon scented meat skewers with rice, a crispy black bean salad, lemon flavoured mayonnaise, lemonade and ice cold beers. Let’s just say these were a big hit which set us up for a weekend of watching football, reorganising the pantry, picking strawberries, knitting and tons and tons of baking. But that story is for another post.
Lemon Chilli Beef Skewers - Flavours of Brazil
- 700 g (1 1/2 lb) meat (beef or venison) cut in strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp garlic flavour pot
- 1 tsp chilli flavour pot
- Lemon slices
- Bamboo skewers soaked for 1 hr
- Mix all ingredients through to the salt and leave to marinate for at least 30 mins.
- In the mean time light the barbeque.
- Thread the meat on the skewers alternating with lemon slices.
- Barbeque the meat skewers for about 2-5 min on each side depending on how cooked you prefer your meat.
- Serve the sizzling hot skewers along with some rice, black bean salad, lemon mayonnaise and beers.