This delicious blood orange smoothie makes a refreshing drink for breakfast or brunch.
So the other day, I completely ignored our weekend guests and spent hours playing with my new toy aka the Optimum 9200 blender. Actually said guests should be blamed as they did make the mistake of turning up with 12 luscious blood red oranges. What’s a girl to do? Whiz up a blood orange smoothie or two.
I had it in my head that the resulting smoothie would be more red that it actually turned out to be. It’ all good blueberries, it’s all good for winning this one. Mini chefs certainly did not mind slurping down the the ‘oh it is purple’ smoothie.
So what to do with the remaining blood red oranges? Well test out another gazillion blood orange recipes all of which I will happily share on the blog. Watch this space.
Here is how to make an awesome vegan blood orange smoothie the froothie way. Oh and customise, customise, customise. This is just one way of doing it.
Blueberry and Blood Orange Smoothie
- 4 blood oranges peeled and pith removed , cut into chunks and any seeds removed
- 2 large peeled frozen bananas
- 50 g (1/2 cup) blueberries
- 250 ml (1 cup) orange juice
- 2 meejool dates , stones removed and soaked for 10 mins
- Combine all the ingredients in a high-powered blender until all smooth and deliciously drinkable.
- Then of course, drink it.
To sweeten you can use date syrup or similar.
I am pleased to say that I am Froothie UK ambassador and as such I will be sharing a few recipes using my lovely new machine they sent me. All opinions are my own.