These tacos serve double duty. First – as a tasty recipe you’ll happily whip up over and over again. (They’re gooood.)
Second – as a trip down memory lane for me, taking me back to growing up in Sierra Leone. Eating these gives me a flash of memories – warm nights, serving up Corned Beef Tacos, catching up on this and that. I love my life here, but oh how I miss those days sometimes.
Though in Sierra Leone, we’d serve these a little differently. Instead of corn tortillas, we’d use cassava flatbreads made from fresh cassava root. (They can also be made with ground cassava flour.) But don’t worry about that – corn tortillas will taste lovely with these canned corned beef tacos.
Corned Beef Tacos Ingredients
So let’s talk about the ingredients in these tacos:
- Canned corned beef (more about this in a minute)
- Spring onions (scallions)
- Corn tortillas
- Assorted toppings: shredded cabbage (I used purple), avocado, radishes, sprouts, jalapeño peppers, more spring onions
- Extras: sauces, squeezed lime
Why Use Canned Corned Beef?
In these tacos I used Corned Beef from the good folks at Princes. I love corned beef – it was a kitchen staple growing up in Sierra Leone, and we used it weekly. We would actually use it more than beef mince because it was very handy and it tasted just as good.
I feel like everyone has a ‘corned beef story.’ It was part of a beloved recipe growing up or their grandmother used it or they remember a commercial or any number of things. It evokes feelings of nostalgia and warmth in them, but for some reason, many of them have stopped using it as much or even at all.
I say let’s bring the canned corned beef back into our lives. Why not? Here are a few good reasons I came up with:
- When you use a good brand, like Princes Corned Beef, it’s made from 100% beef. No funny ‘beef-like substances,’ just good, quality, 100% beef.
- It’s a versatile ingredient. Corned beef hash, corned beef sandwiches, corned beef tacos, corned beef chili, corned beef fritters… the possibilities are endless.
- You can whip up a meal quickly and inexpensively. You don’t need to slave away in the kitchen or buy expensive ingredients to make a hearty and tasty meal.
I’d say those are pretty good reasons, don’t you think?
Corned Beef Tacos Step-by-Step
This might be the world’s easiest recipe…
Step 1: Quickly fry the spring onions followed by the corned beef.
Step 2: Add fried corned beef to corn tortillas.
Step 3: Add your desired toppings and extras. (I especially love these with a squeeze of lime right before serving).
Step 4: Enjoy your delicious corned beef tacos and think about how you can’t wait to make them again.
These are Gluten-Free Tacos
If you follow a gluten-free diet, you’ll be happy to know Corned Beef Tacos are gluten-free if you use plain corn tortillas.
Want more canned corned beef recipes?
If you want more canned corned beef recipes like Corned Beef Tacos, please do let me know in the comments.
So here is how to make corned beef tacos. Please do try it and if you do make it, then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes. You can also share it on my Facebook page.
Thank you for reading my canned corned beef tacos recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced
- 340 g tin of corned beef I used Princes Corned Beef
- 8 corn tortillas
- Toppings – shredded cabbage jalapenos, radishes, avocadoes, sour crème, lime slices
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the sprig onion for 1 min
- Then add in the corned beef and fry for about 5 mins stirring frequently. I like it starting to get a bit crunchy so I fry it for a few mins more.
- Then top the corn tacos with the fried corned beef.
- Add your desired toppings and extras. (I especially love these with a squeeze of lime right before serving).
- Enjoy your delicious corned beef tacos and think about how you can’t wait to make them again.