In the past few weeks, I have been testing cupcake recipes galore. Pumpkin cupcakes for Halloween, chocolate cupcakes just because and polenta cupcakes which need a bit of work. Watch this space folks, watch this space.
One of the recipe I also tried is for these cardamom beetroot chocolate cupcakes. I based my version on the beetroot chocolate cupcakes made by the rather fab Veggie Desserts. They turned out perfectly moist, full of a rich chocolate and beetroot flavour with hints of cardamom in the sponge. They were soooo soooo good that I decided to share them now rather than save them till December.
Feel free to buy vacuum packed pre-cooked beetroot if you want to make life easier. I did with these and it worked really, really well. Just make sure you don’t buy the ones stored in vinegar. And for more dessert recipes and treats, check out this lime buttercream icing and plum cake from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary, coconut pyramids from The Hedgecombers and gooseberry and gin jam from Foodie Quine.
Here is how to make these cardamom chocolate beetroot cupcakes and enjoy every last one.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Cardamom Beetroot Chocolate Cupcakes! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Cardamom Beetroot Chocolate Cupcakes
- 300 g (10 oz) cooked beetroot pureed till smooth
- 125 g (4.4oz) butter softened
- 150 g (5.3oz) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 200 g (7oz) plain flour
- 40 g (1.4oz) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp salt
For the Cream Cheese Icing
- 100 g (3.5oz) butter softened
- 300 g (10.6oz) soft cheese
- 100 g (3.5oz) icing sugar sifted
- Preheat the oven to fan-assisted 150C / 170C / 340F / gas 2 and line a 2 cupcake trays with 16 cases in total
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Then whisk in the eggs, one at a time before adding in the beetroot.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cardamom and salt in another bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix until well combined.
- Pour the cupcake batter into the prepared cases and bake for approximately 20-25 mins or until a skewer inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the icing, beat the butter until really soft, then beat in the cream cheese and icing.
- Decorate the cooled cupcakes with the cream cheese icing and complete with flowers or toppings of your choice.