This delicious, chunky, hearty chickpea soup is packed with so much flavor and texture. This tomato based soup has it all; chickpeas, beans, pasta and fresh vegetables making it cozy and warming and healthier.
One Pot Soup
And with about 10 minutes, of hands on time, pantry staple ingredients you already own, all in one pot, you have no reason not to make this 175643 times during the fall and winter months, but all year round too.
Pull it out for lunch, busy night dinners, lunch boxes and since it is easily portable for picnics around the bonfire or campfire. Any leftover can be easily frozen for later.
Why Make This Recipe
- This easy vegetable soup recipe is made with budget friendly pantry staple ingredients.
- It is easy and full of flavor and ready in less than 20 minutes.
- You can serve hot or chilled so suitable for all types of weather.
- It works great for meal prep, prepping ahead and freezing.
- Dietary – suitable for vegan and gluten free diets.
- Vegetables – onions (use yellow or red onion depending on what you have to hand), carrots and celery add such amazing flavor to the soup. Use celery seed or onion powder if you don’t have the fresh stuff.
- Olive oil – use a good olive oil for the best result, but you can use others like canola oil instead.
- Tomatoes – diced tomatoes and tomato paste add great flavor to this hearty soup. Feel free to use herb flavored or fire roasted tomatoes for extra tastyness.
- Pasta – you need small pasta shells with a quick cook time. In this recipe uses ditalini, but feel free to use other small pasta like orecchiette instead.
- Pulses – you will need canned chickpeas and great northern beans that have been drained – makes life easy. Alternatively you can cook dried beans that you precook first
- Broth – whilst this recipe used vegetable broth you can also use chicken broth if you prefer.
- Seasoning – garlic, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, salt and pepper really complete this soup. Add more or less to your taste.
How To Cook Chickpea Soup
Get complete ingredients list and instructions from recipe card below.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, add in the onion, carrots and celery and saute until the vegetables are soft for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add in the broth, chickpeas, beans, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and bay leaf, increase heat and bring to the boil
- Stir in the pasta and cook according to the directions on the box (usually about 8 minutes).
- Switch off the heat, discard the bay leaf and ladle the soup into a bowl or two and serve.
- If you want to make this easy soup thinner, then add in more broth.
- If blending make sure to let it cool down a bit for safety.
- Make it gluten free: You can use gluten free pasta or skip the pasta and add in extra beans or chickpeas.
- Blend it – feel free to blend this using an immersion blender or table top blender if you prefer a smoother soup.
- Add greens – add in green like baby spinach and kale and wilt for a few minutes at the end of the cook time. You may need to add in more liquid.
- Add heat – add heat with red pepper flakes, jalapeños, cayenne etc.
- Top with crunch – top with seeds, croutons, a squeeze of lemon and grated Parmesan if not vegan
- Store – Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freeze – Freeze cooled soup in freezer bags or meal prep containers, removing all the air. Squeeze out all the extra air and seal the bags. Label the bags and then lay them flat in the freezer and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost – Thaw overnight in the fridge.
- Meal prep – This Chick Pea Soup recipe is an ideal meal prep solution. You can whip up a. few extra batches and store in individual meal prep containers. This is a great way to have perfectly portioned servings ready to use throughout the week.
- Serve with some crusty soda bread or a grilled cheese sandwich.
- It pairs great with crispy smashed potatoes and french fries or a spinach salad.
- Add protein via leftover rotisserie chicken or crispy pork chops.
More Soup RecipesAnd Chickpea Recipes You Might Like
- Coconut Beet Soup.
- Peanut Butter Kabocha Squash Soup.
- 15 Minutes Pea Soup.
- 15 Minutes Ginger Spinach Soup.
- Dump And Start Moroccan Instant Pot Chickpea Stew.
- Easy Spiced Chickpea Salad.
Get The Easy Chickpea Soup Recipe
Don’t forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Rustic Chickpea Soup! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Rustic Chickpea Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potato chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 400 g 14oz tin chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 400 g 14oz chopped Cirio tomatoes
- 1 l 4 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped herbs optional
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 50 g 1/2 cup mini pasta
- Basil pesto and fresh bread to serve
- Heat the oil and fry the sweet potato, celery and onion and fry for 8 mins until soft. Then add the garlic and stir fry for 30 sec.
- Add in the chickpeas, tomatoes, stock, herbs, salt and chilli, bring to the boil and then simmer for 8 mins. Then add in the pasta and simmer for between 8-10 mins until the pasta is cooked.
- Serve the soup topped with fresh basil pesto and crusty bread.