This Cinnamon Plantain Cake is an easy West African recipe that is full of flavour. No plantains? You can use bananas instead in this versatile recipe.
Hello peeps, my name is Bintu Hardy and I am proud to be a planner.
There is planning and there is planning. And I am definitely and over the top, everything else gets dropped till I finish this all important new plan, planner and I am oh so proud.
As in plan Christmas menus in August, plan and buy Christmas presents in the January sales (blame the African genes). I plan food photography shots (sometimes 2 whole hours on just one recipe), I have recipe planning post its stuck to the wall, where the ingredients post it is in one room and the method post it is in another. I spend aaaaaaaaaaaaages planning travel trip, so much so that I sometimes end up being disappointed in the reality.
I plan, birthday parties, shopping lists, play dates, shopping trips, kindle books shopping (don’t ask), train tickets, making Puff Puff, phone conversations, exercise (which never really happens). Yeap, you can call me Planner Hardy.
So sometimes when I go off plan, and it still works then that throws me for a loop. As in overripe plantain on the kitchen counter, some cinnamon next to them, make a cinnamon plantain cake, Sierra Leone style, 30 mins later take cake out of the oven, find a corner sit and eat half the cake. It was that easy, So why oh why do I not do that much more?
Do I need to be such a planner? Probably not. Will I stop being a planner?. Probably not. Will I plan to be less of a planner? Probably……….
Here is how to make a cinnamon plantain cake West African style. I hope you try it, like it and share your photos with me on Instagram tagging #recipesfromapantry.
Sierra Leone flavours / West African Flavours – is the spot on my blog where I share both traditional Sierra Leonean recipes and West African fusion recipes.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Cinnamon Plantain Cake - West African Flavors! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Cinnamon Plantain Cake - West African Flavors
- 2 overripe plantains mashed
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml (0.5 cup) vegetable oil
- 100 ml (0.42 cup) milk
- 250 g (9oz) self-raising flour
- 225 g (8oz) caster sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to fan-assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4 and grease and line two 20cm / 8 inch cake tins.
- Mix the mashed plantains with the 2 eggs, oil and milk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined and lump free. Whisk the egg whites until just stiff and use a spatula to gently fold in the egg whites.
- Split the cake mixture evenly between the two cake tins. Bake in the oven for about 30 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven, let cool in the tins for 5 mins before cooling completely on a wire rack.
- You can eat one cake now and store one in the freezer till needed.
- Seve plain or with some ice cream, whipped cream and fruits.
I am very inspired by this content. This article really invites me to think deeper about the topics discussed. https://syrupvendor.com/