Folks let me just put this out there. There is comfort food and then there is COMFORT food. And these orange mushrooms served over orange flavoured polenta is definitely in the COMFORT food category. Creamy, warming, flavourful citrusy, budget friendly, can be scaled up to feed crowd and is suitable for vegans, this dish has got you covered.
Freddy is a carnivore through and through. So I have got to work pretty hard to get him interested in meat free Mondays or the occasional meat free weeks that I instigate. Mushrooms, especially the beefier kind like portobello mushroom, are a quick and easy way for me to do this. Especially when paired with the orange juice. The truffle oil is purely optional, but if you do have a nice MIL who gives you some for Christmas every year, then please do add it in as it lends a little bit of magic to the orange mushroom sauce.
Making the mushroom sauce is pretty easy and I tend to make it in one of my favourite versatile kitchen gadgets, the Multicooker Redmond. It takes only about 20 mins to fry up, after which I let it sit on the keep warm function, whilst I wait for the polenta to finish cooking, or do other life tasks like children bedtimes, tidying up, making a cuppa etc. Do head on over to their website to find out more about their range of Multicookers and all the scrumptious recipes you can whip up in them.
In the mean time, please get yourself a little slice of comfort food heaven with this creamy polenta with orange mushrooms. And please do share any pictures with me on Instagram so that I can drool over your version.
This post is sponsored. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for me to continue cooking up great recipes for you. All opinions are my own.
Creamy Orange Polenta with an Orange Mushroom Sauce
For the Polenta:
- 1 L (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 160 g (5.6oz) Polenta
- 4 tbsp orange juice
For the orange mushrooms:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 500 g (1.1lb) mushrooms sliced
- 2 tsp truffle oil
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- Sliced spring onions scallions
- Chilli flakes
- Bring the stock to the boil in a pot.
- Then slowly add in the polenta whisking all the while till it thickens. Then reduce the heat to the lowest setting and stir for a few minutes with a wooden spoon. Then cover and stir every 7 or so mins until the polenta is cooked. The whole cooking process takes about 45 mins. The polenta is cooked when it is very thick and falls away from the side of the pan. When the polenta is cooked, stir in the orange juice, cheese and salt before switching off the heat.
To make the orange mushroom sauce open the Multicooker lid, select the fry programme and set the timer for 20 mins.
- Add the oil, onions and garlic and fry until caramelised, up to 15 mins.
- Then add in the mushrooms and fry for a couple of mins until soft.
- Mix in the truffle oil and orange juice and adjust seasoning and cook until the programme finishes and switch off the Multicooker.
To serve spoon the polenta into 4 bowls and top with the orange mushroom sauce, some sliced spring onions and chilli flakes.