This Crockpot Three Bean Chili with butternut squash is what we should make on fire and pyjamas Days. Know what I mean?
Those us time days where we stumble back in after the school drop off, take of the our floor length winter coats, which has done it job of hiding the pyjamas we went out with (yeap, you can totally shake your heads at me), and slump on the comfy sofa in front of the roaring fire and watch crap, but oh so fun, shows.
I looooooove those days and I hope you do too.
Let’s not feel guilty on our pyjamas and fire days. Nope, don’t look at the dishes piled high in the kitchen sink, or the toys strewn around the living room floor, or the pile of letters that need to be opened at the end of the kitchen table.
We should get up only to throw another log or two on the fire, make another cup of tea or open the door to the postman (yes, still in our pyjamas).
Why This Easy Three Bean Chili
Those days are enjoyed even better this gluten-free chili, that we can easily prep-ahead, with pantry staples and throw in our crockpot) (slow cooker) and forget all about.
Just think of a combination of black-eyed beans, black beans and borlotti bean with additional butternut squash all flavoured with cumin, cayenne and oregano, slowly cooking away for 4 hours till it perfect. It is pretty simple, warming, comfort food that you can’t go wrong with.
The bonus is that the veggies combined together provide you with a complete protein packed meal without a single piece of meat.
Crockpot Three Bean Chilli Tools
KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES NEEDED
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my disclosure.
Here are some of the items you will need to make this recipe.
How To Make 3 Bean Chili
OK guys, let me show you how to cook Three Bean Crockpot Chili.
- Step 1. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and pepper for about 5 mins till softened, stir in the garlic paste, followed by the spices and herbs and cook for a further min.
- Step 2. Transfer mix into a slow cooker, add in the rest of the ingredients, season with salt, cover and cook on high for 4 hr. Check after 3.5 hrs, and if the three bean chilli needs a bit more time then cook until done.
2 steps to your easy vegan chilli. Serve with some rice or corn tortillas and extra topping and you have yourself a complete meal.
3 Bean Chili Tips
- You can use any beans you have in your store cupboard. Borlotti beans, Cannellini beans and chickpeas all work.
- Pumpkin or sweet potato can be substituted for butternut squash.
- Increase the heat to your taste.
- A tbsp or two of grated dark chocolate adds an amazing depth of flavour to this vegan chili.
Can You Freeze Three Bean Chili?
Yes, you can. Make a triple batch and freeze for up to 3 months in meal portions and take out when you need it. Just follow the simple steps outlined below.
How To Freeze Three Bean Chili
- Let the crockpot chili cool down, then transfer into these very handy Ziploc freezer bags.
- Squeeze out all the extra air and seal the bags.
- Label the bags and then lay them flat in the freezer.
- Store the chili in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How To Thaw Three Bean Chili
- Remove the 3 bean chili from the freezer the night before needed and let it thaw in the fridge.
- For a faster thaw, you can place the chili into a microwave and thaw according to the microwave’s instructions.
How To Reheat Three Bean Chili
- Transfer the thawed chili into a bowl and reheat in a microwave on low (30% power) until you can easily stir it. Then change to high power and cook until warmed through.
- Or transfer the thawed chili to a saucepan along with 3 tbsp of water. Bring to a boil for a couple of mins until warmed through.
Are Corn Tortillas Gluten-free?
A quick note about keeping this gluten-free chili, gluten-free. Please do serve it with some gluten-free corn tortillas. Corn tortillas today are made from a special type of finely ground corn flour called masa harina. This is normally gluten-free, but some brands get cross-contaminated with gluten during processing and packaging.
So it is worth checking that your masa harina labelled “gluten-free ” if you are making this yourself, It is also worth checking the labelling of any shop bought tortillas to see if they are ‘gluten-free’ too.
Weight Watchers Points in Slow Cooker Three Bean Chili
If you replace the 2 tsp olive oil used for frying with a calorie-controlled cooking spray, there are:
- 0 Freestyle points per serving
- 5 PointsPlus points per serving
You know I say I don’t get off the sofa much on my pyjamas fire days. Well actually I do, just get up to a quick second lunch, pre-supper bowl or two of this easy three bean chili. Because I have to taste it to make sure the spices are absolutely right for supper. Clearly, I take my job very seriously. As I should, right?
Yeap, I love me my fire and pyjamas days, especially when they also involve a big bowl of slow-cooked vegan chili. Best days ever.
Thank you for reading my crockpot three bean chilli recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for reading Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.
Get The Three Bean Chili Recipe
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Crockpot Three Bean Chili (Gluten-free, Vegan)! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Crockpot Three Bean Chili (Gluten-free, Vegan)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 1 pepper bell, deseeded and diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or less if making for kids
- 400 g (14oz) tin black-eyed beans drained
- 400 g (14oz) tin kidney beans drained
- 400 g (14oz) tin pinto beans veggie ones, drained
- 250 g (8.8oz) peeled and diced butternut squash
- 200 g (7oz) frozen corn kernels thawed
- 400 g (14oz) chopped tomato
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and pepper for about 5 mins till softened, stir in the garlic paste, followed by the spices and herbs and cook for a further min.
- Transfer mix into a slow cooker, add in the rest of the ingredients, season with salt, cover and cook on high for 4 hr. Check after 3.5 hrs, and if the three bean chilli needs a bit more time then cook until done.
- Serve with some rice, corn tortilla and fresh coriander.
- 0 Freestyle points per serving
- 5 PointsPlus points per serving