This Dragon fruit smoothie recipe is simple and affordable, and uses frozen or fresh fruit, almond butter and almond milk.
This is one utterly delicious fruit smoothie that you’ll want to whirl up for healthy breakfasts, snacks and more. Plus you will swoon over the gorgeous magenta color, thanks to the pink-fleshed dragon fruit.
All you have to do to whip up this bright coloured banana smoothie is blend for a few mins, pour in your favorite mason jar and you’ve got a nutritious breakfast ready to go. Perfect for those busy mornings when you need something healthy on-the-go.
Folks, I know you’ve seen these drinks all over Instagram, now you can enjoy one too. #doitforthegram
Why You’ll Love It
- Beautiful Magenta Color – Guys, you know you eat with your eyes first.
- Quick Breakfast or snack on the go.
- Family favorite. Kids go crazy for fun colored smoothies.
- Only 4 ingredients and a blender needed.
What Is A Dragon Fruit?
A Dragon Fruit is also called a Pitaya fruit or a strawberry pear. It’s from Central America, even though many think it’s from Asia. Guys, one of the reasons I love dragon fruit so much is because it’s low in calories, has a good amount of Vitamin C, fiber, iron and antioxidants.
The fruit gets its name because of the bright magenta color and the green “scale like” outside that resembles a dragon.
Although the color packs a punch and is quite vibrant, the taste of the dragon fruit is only very mild. They don’t recommend that you eat the seeds, but there are so many seeds in this fruit that people eat them anyway. Don’t eat the skin either.
Tools You Need
Soooo, let’s gather up these ingredients and I will show you just how quick you can make this tasty smoothie recipe…..
How To Make Dragon Fruit Smoothies
Pitaya Smoothie Recipe Tips
- If using fresh dragon fruit, make sure to get ripe fruit, as one that’s not ripe has almost no flavor.
- Fresh Dragon fruit keeps on the counter for only a few days.
- When buying, keep in mind that organic dragon fruit has the sweetest flavor, as does those imported from Thailand.
- If you want a thicker Smoothie, blend it slowly, scrape the sides of the blender often and add in liquid in small increments until you get it the perfect consistency.
- Use the tamper to help to blend.
Folks, this Dragon Fruit drink is so versatile. The ingredients can be changed to suit anybody’s taste buds and dietary needs. Try any or all of these variations;
- Fruit – strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, pineapple, kiwi, pears, oranges.
- Milk – coconut milk, soy milk, oat milk, cashew milk, cow’s milk, yogurt, greek yogurt.
- Butters – almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower butter.
- Flavorings – try adding a squirt of fresh lemon or lime juice, or a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.
What Does A Dragon Fruit Taste Like?
Even though the color of the Dragon fruit is super bright, the taste of the fruit is quite mild. It tastes like a cross between a kiwi and pear.
What’s The Difference Between Pink And White Dragon fruit?
Pink Dragon fruit is slightly sweeter than the white flesh colored fruit. The white colored fruit tends to be slightly cheaper but the pink colored one is more nutritionally dense.
Perfect Prep Ahead Breakfast
Prep ahead – This Pink Dragonfruit Smoothie can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days. If you find that your smoothie is starting to separate, just give it a quick stir and you’re all set.
More Smoothie and Drink Recipes
- Easy Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie.
- Instant Pot Infused Water – 4 ways.
- Strawberry Blueberry Smoothie Bowl.
- Jamaican Sorrel Drink.
Weight Watchers Points
There are 3 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving.
Thank you for reading my Dragonfruit Smoothie recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue to slice, dice and dream up affordable Air Fryer recipes, Instant Pot Recipes, Southern Recipes and more. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, food blog.
Get the Dragon Fruit Smoothie Recipe:
Don’t forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Dragon Fruit Smoothie! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Dragon Fruit Smoothie
- Add all ingredients in a high speed blender. Process until smooth.
- Serve in 2 mason jars.
- If using fresh dragon fruit, make sure to get a ripe fruit as one that’s not ripe has almost no flavor.
- Fresh Dragon fruit keeps on the counter only a few days.
- When buying, keep in mind that Organic Dragon fruits and ones imported from Thailand have the sweetest flavor.
- If you want a thicker Pitaya Smoothie, blend it slowly, scrape the sides of the blender often and add in liquid in small increments until you get it the perfect consistency.
- Use the tamper to help to blend.