Best friend – why don’t you have any duck recipes on your blog?
Me – err, I don’t ?
Best friend – No. And for someone who almost always orders duck when you go out…….
Me – shakes rather forgetful food blogger head.
I absolutely love duck. So I feel like I should have a really good excuse for not previously posting a duck recipe, but I just plain old forgot to.
So here is my roast duck and noodle salad with a whole helping of crunchy vegetables. I tend to bring it out for special occasions and guests I really want to impress. Firstly because is it actually quite easy to put together but also because these simple flavours combined pack a real good punch. Secondly, the food blogger in me likes serving food that also looks really pretty. I know I shouldn’t but…….
Besides you kinda get two recipes in one out of this. You slice up your duck breast, make your salad, gaze in adoration at it and then enjoy. Then you take all that left over gorgeous seasoned duck fat pour it over your potatoes, chuck them in the oven and forget about them. A little while later you pull out some crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside potatoes that got your belly singing hallelujah. You get to enjoy that duck all over again.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Vietnamese Style Duck, Noodle and Crunchy Vegetable Salad! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Vietnamese Style Duck, Noodle and Crunchy Vegetable Salad
Ginger lime dressing:
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp mild chopped chilli optional
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
Roast duck breast:
- 1 large Gressingham duck breast fillet approx 250g, 8.8oz
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 75 g 2.6oz rice noodles
- 75 g 2.6oz finely shredded cabbage
- 75 g 2.6oz bean sprouts
- 1 red bell pepper finely sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 spring scallions onions finely sliced
- Large handful of chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp crispy fried shallots + lime wedges to top
Prepare the salad dressing:
- Mix together all the ingredients for the salad dressing and set it aside.
Roast the duck:
- Combine the duck fillet with the fish sauce and ginger in a bowl and let stand for 5 mins.
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 200C / 220C / 425F / gas 8.
- Transfer the duck fillet (skin side down) to a cold cast iron frying pan and fry on medium heat for 6 mins. Then flip the fillet over and seal the other side for 30 secs.
- Transfer the duck (still in the cast iron pan) to the oven and roast for oven and roast for 10 mins (rare), 15 min (medium) or 18 mins (well done).
- Remove from the oven and allow the meat rest for 10 mins in a warm place before slicing it thinly.
Prepare the salad:
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions and let them cool.
- Then combine the cooled noodles with the rest of the salad ingredients along with the sliced duck breast and mix in as much salad dressing as you like.
- Dish out the individual portions and top with the crispy shallots and lime wedges before serving.