The other day I made coleslaw to challenge ‘vegetablism’. Is that a word?
That and of course because it was part of my Sierra Leonean feast at Christmas. This was my friend’s view – vegetables are a waste of space on a plate and just take up precious space necessary for more meat. Me – so you don’t even eat coleslaw? Him – nope, not even coleslaw. So of course I knew better and would change his mind.
So I went for my easiest coleslaw recipe which is a mix of firm shredded cabbage, sweet crunchy carrots and spring onions to give it a bit of a bite. My ever-present pantry staples of mayonnaise and vinegar completed this dish.
I find that coarsely grating and shredding the vegetables reduced the chance of them cloying together as can happen with this salad. Also I find it best to add the mayonnaise mix to the vegetables a little at a time till you get the consistency that you want.
I got him to grate the offending ‘vegetables’, make the mayonnaise mix and dress up the coleslaw. He tasted everything along the way. Anyway, he ate two helpings. And another two helpings the next day. I watched gleefully and convinced myself that each helping was a little bit bigger than the last.
So I told myself that I had converted him. But probably he was just being polite. He is very polite. Either way he ate the ‘vegetables’ and I had a goofy satisfied grin on my face all day. And the next day too.
So try my ‘vegetablism’ challenging coleslaw below and don’t forget to leave a comment to let me know how you like your coleslaw.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Easy Coleslaw! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
- 1 green cabbage about 800g shredded weight
- 2 large carrots
- 2 spring onions
- 1.5 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 10 tbsp mayonnaise
- Salt optional, black pepper and dried chilli flakes to taste
- Remove and discard the woody stem of the cabbage.
- Coarsely shred the cabbage and coarsely grate the carrots into a large bowl.
- Finely slice spring onion and add to the bowl.
- In a smaller bowl add the vinegar and mayonnaise and mix well to make the dressing.
- Add half of the dressing to the vegetables and mix.
- Taste and add in one tbsp at a time of the dressing till it is right for you.
- If you use up all the dressing and still prefer some more in your coleslaw then whip up half a batch again and continue adding a tbsp at a time till its perfect for you.
- Adjust seasoning and serve.