One of my well loved farro recipes with roast aubergine and peppers all topped with a drizzle of coconut sauce.
Mini chefs were invited to a brilliant birthday party the other day. We are talking a fab sweet treasure hunt, sausages and chips, pin the tail on Mog, face painting and the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten. It ended on a high as we all sat rather full, lazily toasting marshmallows around the fire. I think I have a lot to live up to when their birthdays come round. I had better start planning.
We came back home to a lovely parcel from the kitchen garden. Lovely huge white aubergines and peppers that were just begging to be roasted. And this is coming from someone who barely tolerated aubergines a few years back. Thankfully Ottolengi convinced me of the error of my ways with one of his aubergine recipes.
So roasted peppers and aubergine it was, which turned out to be the perfect choice with some leftover farro and a large drizzle of Thai curry coconut sauce. A hearty farro bowl of goodness full of texture and flavour. I love it. Hope you do too.
This is the second post on my pantry staple spotlight on farro.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Roasted Aubergine and Farro Bowl with Coconut Sauce! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Roasted Aubergine and Farro Bowl with Coconut Sauce
- 150 g (1 cup) quick cook farro
- 1 L (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 large aubergine cut in 1/2 cm slices
- Olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper cut into strips
For the coconut sauce:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 spring onions scallions chopped
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- Mild Chilli to taste chopped
- 1 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 400 ml (1. 75cup) coconut milk
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce or to taste
- 1/4 tsp dark brown sugar
- Cook the farro in the stock according to the package instructions. I pefer mine to cook for about 25-30 mins. Drain when done to your taste and set aside.
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 160C / 180 C / 350F / gas 4. Brush aubergine slices with olive oil and salt, lay in a baking tray and roast them for up to 35 mins depending on how soft you like them done. Mix the pepper strips with some olive oil and salt, add them to another tray and roast them for 15 mins and set aside when done.
Prepare the coconut sauce.
- Heat the oil and add in the spring onion, ginger and chilli and stir fry for 1 min. Mix in the curry paste and fry for 30 sec. Add in the coconut milk, soy sauce, sugar and salt, mix well, bring to the boil and then reduce and simmer for about 8 mins.
- Assemble the vegetable and farro bowl.
- Assemble the bowls starting with the farro, then the roasted vegetables and drizzling on some coconut sauce to taste.