Savoury muffins alert- these feta, roasted pepper and wild garlic muffins are easy to whip up and make a great lunchbox idea.
I bake a LOT of muffins. Chocolate muffins, orange muffins, polenta muffins, courgette muffins, apple muffins, hazelnut muffins and banana muffins are all tick, tick, tick in this house. Because they are very easy to make, the kiddoes like helping me make them and they freeze well.
Except Freddy does not like the sweet’ish muffins. Nope, he is firmly in the savoury muffins camp. So I thought I would make him these wild garlic muffins loaded with feta cheese and roasted red peppers. The way to a man’s heart and all that.
And it worked. He did say these are the best muffins I have ever made. At which point I reminded him that he would say that as he dislikes the other ‘sweet’ muffins that I do make. But he was happy, and I was happy and I got another wild garlic recipe in the bag. Result. Plus the muffins paired well with the some leftover carrot soup and wild garlic pesto that we had for lunch.
So please try my feta, roasted red peppers and wild garlic muffins. You know you want to.
PS this is the second recipe in my pantry staple spotlight on wild garlic. Please be sure to check the others out.
Wild garlic pesto.
Wild garlic mashed potatoes from Kavey Eats.
A foraged savory vegetable cake by Food To Glow.
Wild garlic, lemon and ricotta toast by Food To Glow.
Pesto and pine nut bread by Knead Wine
Spring roast of Scotch beef with a wild garlic pesto crust by Foodie Quine.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Feta and Wild Garlic Muffins! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Feta and Wild Garlic Muffins
- 375 g (13.30z) self raising flour
- 200 g (7oz) wild garlic (ramps, ramsons) shredded
- 200 g (oz) feta crumbled
- 2 red peppers roasted and chopped
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- 330 ml (1.3 cups) milk
- 90 ml (0.4 cup) melted butter
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 180C / 200C / 400F / gas 6 and lightly oil a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and mix in the wild garlic, feta, peppers and Parmesan.
- Combine the milk, butter and egg and add to the flour mix. Mix with a fork until just combined.
- Scoop the muffin batter evenly into the muffin cups and bake for 20-22 mins or until a skewer inserted into the muffins comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool on a wire rack for a few mins and served them either warm or cold.