Then some days I love my job even more. Today is one of those days because I get to tell you guys about a fabulous book and cook up a really fun fruit pancake pizza AND get the kids involved in cooking. What more can I ask for?
A few years ago, miss N invited her friends over for a pizza party. I duly went off to the supermarket, got everything needed for the pizza, along with extra bits of ham, cherry tomatoes and some well-loved olives. Pizza day arrives, I get everything ready and ask Miss N to come check out the set up. She walked in, takes one look and burst into tears. ‘Not THIS pizza mama, the ‘pampape’ pizza with the ‘strawbris on it.
Now I can laugh, but at that moment the 15 mins I thought I had spare were frantically spent cooking up pancakes, panic calling to Freddy to drop everything to bring home some fruit and emptying the entire fridge to find that very hidden pot of yoghurt. But it was a success and our fruit pancake pizza was born :).
In this version I have used crepes, cream cheese, yoghurt, and strawberries, kiwis and raspberries. But, you can use any fruit that you have available. Just make it as colourful as you want.
Now can I get off social media a bit and tell you about the book. I absolutely love the idea behind the books that the Wonderbly team offer. Basically, they give us personalised children’s books based around significant things such as your child’s name, or birthday or address etc. Their newest offering if the Kingdom of You Book aimed at children aged 3-10. This adorable book is based on your child’s name and filled with their favourite things and well, there is food involved.
Sorting out the book itself is a really simple process, first you enter your child’s name, select their sex and choose the character. Personally, I loved that you would chose a character of ethnic decent as I have struggled with not being able to find relevant characters for us. So a big plus in my book. The on to select the other characters to fill your book, with choices ranging from animals, to vehicles to princesses. Then you select your choice of food eg fruit or ice cream etc. Very sweetly, they have also added in an area for dedications to be written.
Miss N, absolutely loved her book. Not only did she think I was #awesomemama for getting her a special book with HER NAME as part of the story, but she took it to school and the teacher read it to the WHOLE CLASS. She was on top of the world for a whole week. Result, right? Check out their website to find out more.
Now here is how to make this fruit pancake pizza. Please do try it and if you do make it then please do tag me on Instagram or twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes.
Wonderbly are giving one of you the chance to win a copy of The Kingdom of You.
To be in with a chance of winning this, all you have to do is enter via the rafflecopter form below. You can even win extra entries by tweeting and sharing some of my recipes each day. This giveaway is open to UK entrants only and runs until Tuesday August 8th 2017. Good luck.
Please do check out my other giveaways, including a breakfast hamper worth £40.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Thank you for reading my fruit pancake pizza recipe post. This post is sponsored by some really lovely folk. Thank you for supporting them, as they make it possible for me to continue dreaming up recipes, African recipes, Sierra Leonean recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Opinions as always, are my own.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Fruit pancake pizza! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Fruit pancake pizza
For the pancakes:
- 55 g (4oz) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 280 ml (1 cup + 2 tbsp) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Butter for frying
For the cream cheese
- 500 g (1.1lb) cream cheese
- 6 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
For the fruits:
- 400 g (14oz) strawberries , hulled and halved
- 250 g (8.8oz) raspberries
- 6 kiwis , peeled and cubed
- Seeds from 2 passionfruit’s
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
Make the pancakes:
- Mix together the flour and salt in a large bowl, make a well in the centre, add in the egg and whisk into a paste.
- In another bowl mix together the almond milk and vanilla extract.
- Then slowly add a little bit of this milk mixture into the paste whisking well before adding in some more. Continue till all the milk is whisked in and the batter is smooth.
- Heat your pancake on low medium heat and melt a bit of butter in it.
- When the butter starts sizzling add in about 2-3 tbsp of the batter mixture (depending on the size of your pan) and swirl the mixture until a thin layer coats the pan.
- Cook for about 30 seconds until the edges and parts of the pancake is crisp.
- Then flip and cook for up to 30 seconds.
- Keep pancake warm in oven till you have finished cooking the rest.
Make the cream cheese:
- Beat all the ingredients for the cream cheese together until smooth an dset aside.
Assemble the fruit pancake pizzas:
- Assemble the fruit pancake pizzas starting with the pancakes, then the cream cheese and then the fruit.
Please pin me: