I like pancakes, I like ginger and I like cinnamon. And Christmas is the perfect excuse to combine these three to make gingerbread pancakes. Not that I ever need an excuse to make them.
In anticipation of all the warm wintery cooking I will be doing over the next few months I have just made a fresh batch of gingerbread spice mix. I just add a few teaspoons of this mix to my usual pancake recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver.
These delicious and aromatic pancakes are what my guests are going to be waking up to on Christmas morning. Till then I am just going to have to keep making and trying them out with various toppings to make sure that they are absolutely spot on. Ah, what a hard, hard, hard life!
This was shared at the Swallow’s Charity Recipe for Life challenge.
More Recipes Like Gingerbread Pancakes
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Gingerbread Pancakes! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
- 115 g (4 oz / 1 cup) of plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sodium bicarbonate / baking soda
- 2 tsp homemade gingerbread spice mix
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar optional
- 2 large eggs
- 160 ml milk
- butter for frying pancakes
- In a large bowl add flour, baking powder, bicarbonate, spice mix, salt and sugar (if using) and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the eggs and the milk and whisk well. You will be left with a thick batter. It does not matter if there are a few lumps in the batter.
- Heat a non stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Melt the tiniest knob of butter in frying pan and add in a ladle of batter.
- Cook the pancake for a couple of minute and when the top starts bubbling then turn over and cook the other side till its is golden.
- Serve with maple syrup, fruits or any other toppings that you prefer.
- Makes 8-10 pancakes.
Please experiment with the amount of spice mix that you add to the pancakes to suit your taste.