Yeap, let me introduce you to my grilled avocado stuffed with veggie quinoa. Because warm June weekends (which involve mowing the garden, planting new rows of lettuce, spring onion and green beans in the kitchen garden, fixing the broken swing and filling up the log shed with 2 tractors loads of logs), deserve to end in quick bbq recipes the whole family can eat. TBH it works well for busy weeknights suppers and breakfast moments too. #Justsaying.
I love grilling avocadoes. I have no idea why don’t I do it more? Their flesh is a perfect mixture of buttery softness yet still firm enough to retain their shape during grilling . Please do use avocadoes that are ripe but still very firm to the touch. Just grill them for a few mins over medium heat and you are good to go.
I am soooooooooooo up for experimenting more with grilled avocadoes. I am not quite sure what flavours to marinade them with next. Maybe balsamic glaze? Or a five-spice glazed? Is there anything you guys can recommend???
One of my tips is to always have some cooked quinoa in the fridge, (it keeps for 3-4 days no problem) which you can then use to make this salad. My veggie loaded quinoa varies depending on what I have available. Feel free to throw in everything and anything you have in your fridge and garden right now. It is all good.
This one is chock-a-block with veggies abundant in the summer, such as crunchy cucumber, juicy tomatoes, creamy sweetcorn, spicy spring onions and all the leftover herbs I could find. It is seasoned simply with some lemon juice and olive oil. Some of the best salads are oh so simple to make right?
This quick grilled avocado stuffed with veggie quinoa is suitable for vegans and people following a gluten-free diet. To make it even quicker (or if you don’t have quinoa) you could use couscous instead, but bear in mind that it will stop being gluten-free. Entirely up to you – but still so good.
It is rather strange to be using the BBQ for a veggie feast. Because living with a carnivore, means that almost everything has got to involve some form of meat or at least some fish. Best thing ever was Freddy tucking in with no request for any meat. I think I may be on to something……..
For more grilling why not try this Grilled Broccoli Recipe?
So folks, here is how to make grilled avocado stuffed with veggie quinoa. Please do try it and if you do make it then please do tag me on Instagram or twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes.
- 150 g (1 cup) quinoa, washed and drained
- 4 spring onions , sliced
- Half of a small cucumber , deseeded and chopped
- 4 tomatoes , finely chopped
- 50 g (1.7oz) cooked sweetcorn kernels
- 1 handful of chopped parsley
- 1 handful of chopped coriander
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 large avocados
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Extra lime slices
- Cook quinoa according to packet instructions, let cool and transfer to the salad bowl.
Add all the other ingredients, including lemon juice and olive oil to your taste to the quinoa, mix and set aside.
- Fire up the barbeque and wait till the coals are medium hot.
- Halve the avocados and remove the seed but leave the skin on.
- Brush the avocado halves with lime juice, followed by some olive oil.
- Brush the grill with some oil and grill the avocados flesh side down for about 3 mins then remove from the heat.
- Stuff the avocadoes with as much vegetable quinoa as they can hold and serve with extra lime slices.
Please pin me: