There’s nothing better than getting into the Christmas season with a warm blanket, the Grinch movie and a big bowl of Grinch Popcorn. We watch the movie so much that Grinch Popcorn has become a staple in our home in December. It is soooooooo easy to make. You need just 3 ingredients.
I looooooove cosy Grinch movie nights with my family when we’re huddled together under a big blanket. This sweet and salty candy melt popcorn is perfect for movie night, parties or when the kids go to bed and you don’t want to share. It is colourful, fun, festive, and sure to become a family favourite in your home during the holiday season.
You can also make the holiday candy melt popcorn ahead of time and send it with the kids to school as gifts or for their fun holiday-themed parties before Christmas break. It is easy to get my mini chefs involved in making the sweet and salty Grinch Popcorn too. Peeps, with just 3 ingredients they’re able to make it themselves without me supervising every step.
Grinch Popcorn is a great way to use some of those Christmas candies you have out for guests too. And you know what I mean by candies ‘for the guests’. You are munching on them just like I am throughout the season. Get your favourites and add them to your popcorn for extra crunch and sweetness.
Grinch Popcorn Materials
KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES NEEDED
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my disclosure.
Here are some of the items you will need to make this recipe.
- This sturdy saucepan if you want to make the popcorn from Scratch
- 8 qt Instant Pot.
- 3 qt Instant Pot or 6 qt Instant Pot depending on family size.
- Glass lid.
- Measuring jugs or cups.
- Measuring teaspoons.
- Mixing bowls.
- Bowls with covers.
- For storing your leftover food.
- These lush green candy melts.
- My favourite red and green Christmas candy.
Make sure to discard any unpopped kernels before mixing the melted candy and Christmas sweets in.
Ready to make Grinch Popcorn? Grab your ingredients and I’ll show you how…….
How to Make Grinch Popcorn Step by Step
- Add the popcorn to a large mixing bowl and grab the rest of the ingredients.
- Follow the package instructions for melting the candy melts.
- Then pour the melted candy into the popcorn and mix with a spoon till all coated. Stir in your Christmas sweets and set aside to harden.
- Divide into separate serving sized bowls, serve and enjoy!
Tips for Making Grinch Popcorn
- Use a spoon to mix in the melted candy melts. You can use clean hands, but the melted candy can potentially be really hot. I suggest using a utensil to combine the candy melts with popcorn.
- Get your ingredients ready to go before you melt the candy. The candy melts will harden back up fairly quickly so you’ll want to prep the popcorn and be ready to go when it is time to mix.
- You can add in a variety of extra sweets. You can add in your holiday cookies, sprinkles or marshmallows. A fun twist is also to add a little cinnamon and nutmeg while mixing.
- Have fun with a variety of candy melts colours. Divide your popcorn up and mix each batch with different coloured candy melts and then combine back together before serving.
- If serving for a party, you can make ahead and store in Ziploc bags until party time. This is a fun treat I send the mini chefs to school with when they have their holiday themed parties or need a quick homemade holiday gift for their teachers.
How to Make Instant Pot Popcorn
Yeap, you can make popcorn in your Instant Pot. All it takes is just 2 ingredients and 10 mins. Follow these steps to achieve the perfect Instant Pot Popcorn.
Chef’s Tip: the most important thing you need to have is a glass lid for your Instant Pot, as the regular lid for cooking under pressure will not work.
- Switch on the sauté mode and select More/High setting.
- When the display says hot, add the coconut oil, melt completely till it sizzles.
- Add 3 popcorn kernels, coat with oil and let them pop to check the temperature (so it is right for popping).
- Then add the rest of the kernels and mix till all coated.
- Cover with a glass lid, leaving slightly ajar watch the popcorn pop (in 3 mins).
- During popping, lift out the Instant Pot insert and gently swirl so that the unpopped kernels drop to the bottom. Do this a couple of times so that more kernels pop this way.
- In about 4-5 min the popping will slow down so turn the Instant pot off and wait for 30 seconds for any final pops.
- Remove any unpopped kernels and then transfer the popcorn into a large bowl.
Tips for Making Popcorn in Your Instant Pot:
- Leave the lid ajar – Try to leave the lid open a tiny bit as this helps to reduce the steam so you get nice crispy popcorn. Keep ajar with a wooden spoon.
- Shake to pop the kernels – If you lightly shake the Instant Pot during the popping, the kernels will sink to the bottom and more of them will pop. Do this every 45 secs.
- The right amount of popcorn – stick with about half a cup of popcorn per session as having too much will result in there being too many unpopped kernels
- The right oil – you will need to use oil with a higher smoke point as you will be cooking at a high temperature. So an unrefined coconut oil is what you need.
How to Make Stovetop Popcorn
Making popcorn on the stovetop sure sounds easy. But if you are not careful, you can end up with scorched pieces or too many unpopped kernels. Follow these simple steps to make sure your stovetop popcorn is perfect every time.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Then add 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan.
- When the kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn kernels in the pan and shake gently so that they lay in an even layer and cover.
- Once the kernels start popping, you should keep shaking the pan gently so that the kernels keep dropping back into the coconut oil and as many as possible pop. Try to leave the lid open a tiny bit as this helps to reduce the steam so you get nice crispy popcorn.
- Eventually, the popping will slow down, at which point you can remove the pan from the heat and decant into a sharing bowl.
How to Make Healthy Herb Popcorn
To turn your popcorn into a super healthy herb popcorn snack, add a generous pinch of salt (if desired) and a half teaspoon of dried herbs to your finished popcorn. I looooove the flavour of thyme, but basil or oregano are also good choices.
And since I recommend using coconut oil for popping, this tasty, healthy, low calorie snack is also suitable for those following a vegan diet.
Variations on Grinch Popcorn
I loooooove to make candy melt popcorn all year long. And this recipe for Grinch Popcorn can be quickly adapted to suit any holiday or special occasion. Here are a just a few of the possibilities:
Monster Halloween Popcorn: combine green and yellow candy melts with crunchy sprinkles, candy, and fun edible monster eyes.
Witch’s Brew: make this spooky Halloween version with black candy melts (or melted dark chocolate), pieces of candy corn and gummy worms.
Harvest Cornucopia: Your Thanksgiving guests will love this combination of fall flavours. Add pumpkin pie spice to melted caramel and mix in the popcorn, mini pretzels, and chopped pecans.
Sweetheart Popcorn: this sweet Valentine’s Day treat uses red candy melts, conversation hearts and mini marshmallows. You can even get extra creative and form the popcorn into individual heart shapes.
Leprechaun’s Gold: Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day by following this recipe for Grinch Popcorn, but swap the Christmas sweets with your favourite green candies and some shelled pistachio nuts.
Bunny Corn: mix the popcorn with melted white chocolate and combine with jellybeans and pastel-coloured sprinkles. Package in individual treat bags for a cute Easter basket treat.
What to Serve with Grinch Popcorn
The whole family will enjoy Grinch Popcorn served with some delicious Homemade Hot Chocolate.
And for the grown-ups only, try a glass of tasty Tropical Ginger Beer Punch.
More Christmas Desserts
Get The Grinch Popcorn Recipe:
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Grinch Popcorn! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
- 70 g 10 cups popped popcorn
- 340 g 12 oz bag of candy melts
- Christmas Sweets
- Add the popcorn in a large bowl and grab the rest of the ingredients.
- Melt the candy melts in a large bowl according to the packet instructions.
- Pour the melted candy into the popcorn and mix till all coated.
- Then stir in the Christmas sweets, decant into serving sized bowls and set aside to harden.
- Use a spoon or clean hands to mix in the melted candy melts. Preferably a spoon in case the melted candy is too hot.
- Have the popcorn ready for mixing because candy will harden quickly.
- Mix it up by adding in some cookies, marshmallows or sprinkles.
- For a party, you can make ahead of time and store in Ziploc bags.
Thank you for reading my Grinch Popcorn recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.