Easter is fast approaching, and as I begin to plan my holiday menu I am spending some time reflecting on our family traditions, including the much-anticipated Easter breakfast.
This meal has typically featured piles of fresh waffles, made-to-order cheese omelettes, and of course, a traditional Easter ham. However, I have come to the realisation that serving these dishes means most of my Easter morning is spent in the kitchen busily preparing the food, whilst the rest of the family is out in the garden hunting for eggs and enjoying their Easter baskets.
So this year I am determined to spend less time cooking and more time joining in on the celebration. And what better way than preparing a scrumptious breakfast casserole that I can prepare ahead of time?
My family loves waffles, we love ham, and we absolutely loooooove cheese. Castello® Tickler Extra Mature Cheddar cheese, to be exact. So why not combine all three into one dish? This Cheesy Waffle and Ham Breakfast Casserole takes all our favourite breakfast dishes and puts them into one utterly delicious casserole.
This easy-to-assemble recipe comes together in just a few minutes and is a really great way to use up leftover ham and waffles you may have from a previous meal. And you can even prepare it in advance and store it in the fridge overnight. Yeap. Serving up a scrumptious Easter breakfast has never been easier.
Ready to learn how to make this Cheesy Waffle and Ham Breakfast Casserole? Then gather up your ingredients so I can show you….
How To Make Cheesy Waffle and Ham Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 160 C / 180C / 350 F / gas 4.
- Mix milk, eggs, paprika and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a large non-stick skillet, layer half of the waffles, then half of the ham, then half of the grated cheese. Repeat with the remaining half of the waffles, ham and cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 mins.
- Remove foil and bake for another 20-30 mins.
Then dish up into bowls and serve with a side of maple syrup. Yum!
Tips For Making This Cheesy Waffle and Ham Breakfast Casserole
- I used extra mature cheddar, but feel free to make this dish with your favourite cheese instead. For example, both Gouda and Havarti taste great in this casserole.
- And if you prefer, you can swap in bacon or sausage for the ham.
- This Cheesy Waffle and Ham Breakfast Casserole is a great breakfast or brunch, but it is also fantastic served up for ‘brinner’ (AKA breakfast for dinner).
Meal Prep With Cheesy Waffle and Ham Breakfast Casserole
This Cheesy Waffle and Ham Breakfast Casserole is ideal for meal prep. For total make-ahead ease, you can do the following a day (or even two!) in advance:
- Prepare the egg mixture in a large bowl, then cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge.
- Dice up the ham and waffles and grate your cheese. Place in ziplock bags and refrigerate.
Then when you’re ready to cook, simply layer the waffles, ham and cheese into the skillet, pour the egg mixture on top, cover with foil and pop in the oven.
Please note that additional cooking time may be necessary when cooking the casserole ingredients straight from the fridge.
What To Serve With Cheesy Waffle and Ham Breakfast Casserole
About Castello Cheese
As mentioned earlier, we are a family that loooooves cheese. We eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And cheese is definitely the go-to snack in our household.
When it comes to my favourite cheese, it is hands-down Castello® Tickler Extra Mature Cheddar. Which makes sense, since my Castello flavour profile is Salty, Nutty and Earthy. Aged 17 years, this extra mature cheddar has a substantial bite that is balanced with a nutty creaminess and just the right kick of salt. Utterly satisfying and soooo good.
Yeap, I use Castello cheese for pretty much everything. I’m talking in sandwiches (best grilled cheese ever!), on top of nachos, and mixed into all sorts of soups and casseroles.
And Castello wants you to discover your perfect flavour too. Just take their simple 4-question quiz at https://www.castellocheese.com/en-us/find-your-flavour/ so you too can find your cheese soul mate!
Thank you for reading my Cheesy Waffle and Ham Breakfast Casserole recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.
Get The Cheesy Waffle and Ham Breakfast Casserole Recipe:
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Cheesy Ham and Waffle Breakfast Casserole! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Cheesy Ham and Waffle Breakfast Casserole
- 125 g (4.4oz) leftover ham, cubed cubed
- 6 large eggs
- 500 ml (2 cups) whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 226 g (8 oz) Castello Tickler Extra Mature Cheddar cheese grated
- 300 g (10.5oz) waffles cut into cubes
- maple syrup for serving
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 180 C / 190 C / 350 F / gas 4.
- Mix together milk, eggs, paprika, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, layer in half of the waffles, then half of the ham, then half of the grated cheese. Then repeat with remaining half of the waffles, ham and cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet.
- Cover and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Take the skillet out and remove the foil. Return to oven and then cook for another 20-30 minutes.
Serve with maple syrup on the side.
- For make-ahead ease, prepare the casserole through step 3. Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you’re ready to cook. Please note that additional cooking time may be necessary if cooking casserole straight from the fridge.
- If using a casserole dish or pan that isn’t non-stick, butter the inside of the dish before adding the ingredients.
- I adore the rich, creamy flavour of Castello Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese. But feel free to use your favourite cheese instead. For example, both Gouda and Havarti taste great in this casserole.
- If you prefer, you can swap in bacon or sausage for the ham.