So it’s cold outside and time to curl up in front of the fire and eat deliciously warming soups. I am also looking for 10 minutes of effort for a really ‘lick my plate clean’ soup. So I came up with this roasted butternut squash soup, made creamy with coconut and spiced with ginger and fragrant cardamom. A mish mash of my favourite things really.
It is a healthy recipe without sacrificing on taste (so embraces our healthy eating resolutions). Roasting the butternut squash definitely makes a difference. The flavour is deep and sweet and complements the spices very well.
If you want to avoid peeling the butternut squash you can just cut it in half, scooping out the seeds and roast it whole. You can tailor this soup with various different spices and vegetables. If you prefer your soup thinner then add in more stock and if you like it thicker then add in a little bit less. To please meat eaters, you could add in some crispy bacon or spicy sausage.
This is an easy autumn or winter soup that tastes good at any time of the year. It is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. So here is my roasted butternut squash soup recipe and don’t forget to leave me a comment to tell me what you think.
If you are looking for more delicious butternut squash recipes, try this Butternut Squash Soup with Star Anise.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Healthy roasted butternut squash soup! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Healthy roasted butternut squash soup
- 1 butternut squash (approx 800g, 24 oz)
- 2 large onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 750 ml vegetable stock (3 1/4 cup)
- ¾ tsp cardamom or to taste
- 3 tsp grated ginger
- 240 ml coconut milk (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 160C /180C /350F / gas 4
- Peel the butternut squash and onions, cut both into chunks and place on baking dish.
- Add in the garlic and vegetable oil, season with salt and mix well.
- Roast vegetables in oven for up to 40 minutes until they caramelised.
- Please stir vegetables frequently during roasting so that they cook evenly on all sides.
- When vegetables are caramelised switch off the oven and keep warm.
- Heat the stock in a pot until it is boiling.
- Reduce heat and add the ginger, cardamom and roasted vegetables and simmer for about 8 minutes for flavours to meld together.
- Switch off heat and allow soup to cool.
- Puree soup in the pot with hand blender.
- Then add in coconut milk, mix well and adjust seasoning.
- Warm soup thoroughly and garnish with coconut milk and or roasted butternut squash seeds before serving.
- Use a bit more stock if you prefer a thinner soup.
- Tweak spices to suit your specific taste.
- If not vegan or vegetarian, add in bacon or sausage.