Labneh scooped out of the bowl with my fingers – straight into my mouth, with olive oil or maple syrup dripping down my fingers has featured in many a breakfast moment. Worth every dribble. Just saying.
Labneh (or labne to you) is simply a delicious cheese made from yoghurt. It is popular throughout the Middle East and some form of it can be served at every meal. And in this little kitchen where Recipes From A Pantry all happens – we love it.
It is easy to make labneh at home – you need to strain some yoghurt in muslin or cheese cloth for a couple of days to remove the whey. It is important to start with some really good quality Greek yoghurt. If however you start with thinner yoghurt, you may need to strain it for an extra day.
The resulting rich creamy cheese will pretty much speak to you. As in’ bury your face in me now’. Hold off for one minute and add in any flavours you like eg herbs, nuts, honey etc. Then you are good to….. If you are planning to serve a sweeter form of labneh, then skip salting the yoghurt before straining.
And if you do make this, tell all your mates that you know how to make cheese – guaranteed to impress.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try How to Make Labneh - Yoghurt Cheese! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
How to Make Labneh - Yoghurt Cheese
- 500 g Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- To serve - pita olive oil, herbs, radishes etc
- Line a sieve with a piece of muslin.
- Mix the salt into the yoghurt and pour the yoghurt into the muslin.
- Bring the corners of the muslin together and twist to form a tight yoghurt ball.
- Place sieve in a bowl to catch any liquid (whey).
- Place in the fridge and allow to drain for 24-48 hrs till the resulting cheese reaches the consistency that you desire.
- I help it along by twisting it tightly every 24 hrs to remove some more whey.
- Transfer the labneh into a bowl and drizzle on some olive oil, herbs and chopped radishes and enjoy.