A friend called me up the other day with a ‘very serious’ emergency. He wanted to know how to make pancakes. Ok so at 6 am I could not understand why this was a ‘serious’ emergency. That was until he sheepishly confessed that he wanted to impress a breakfast date. Having met her outside a pancake cafe he had bragged about his amazing pancake skills (which strangely seemed to have deserted him). She was coming round for pancakes that morning. He wanted step by step instructions preferable with pictures – pretty please, pretty now.
Well, not one to stand in the way of potential love, I of course rushed to oblige. And no, it was not because I am addicted to pancakes. Or, because of the opportunity for me to have them for breakfast. Of course not.
I have my easy pancake recipe which is adapted from Jaime Oliver’s (pancakes USA style). It consists entirely of pantry staples and is very easy to adapt with various spices, fruits, ingredients and toppings.
My friend certainly thought that his effort was pretty tasty. We are both waiting to hear if the lady thought so too…
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try How to Make Pancakes! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
How to Make Pancakes
- Add baking powder and sodium bicarbonate into a mixing bowl
- Then add in flour, nutmeg and a pinch of salt
- Next pour in the milk and break in the two eggs
- Use a whisk (or fork) to mix the ingredients till they are combined into a thick batter.
- Careful not to over mix and it is ok if you have a some lumps in the batter
- Heat a frying pan on low medium heat and melt a small knob of butter in it
- When the butter starts sizzling add in about half a ladle of the batter mixture
- Cook until the top of the pancake is full of bubbles and the bottom is golden
- Then turn the pancakes over and cook till golden too.
- Keep pancakes warm in oven till you have finished frying the rest.
- Serve with various toppings and enjoy.