This Instant Pot Artichokes recipe is so quick and easy to make. Just two simple ingredients and minimal prep are all that’s needed to get tasty perfectly cooked artichokes that make a great appetizer or veggie to add to various dishes.
Suitable for Vegan, Gluten Free, Low Carb or Keto dies. Post includes Weight Watchers points.
Love artichokes or want to try cooking artichokes but don’t know where to start? Then worry not as I will guide you through how to cook Instant Pot Artichokes step by step.
These steamed artichokes need only 2 essential ingredients and less than 15 minutes under pressure. Yeap, pressure cooker artichokes, with their tender meat are all that and more.
Easy Pressure Cooker Artichokes
Artichokes are a delicious and nutritious vegetable that makes a great dipping appetizer and snack or side dish. Plus, the hearts will add amazing flavor to salads, sandwiches, pasta, stews and more.
Why Make This Recipe
- Quick Cooking – cooks in about a third of the time compared to the stovetop method.
- Easy – as easy and foolproof as recipes can ever be.
- Adaptable – these make a great canvas for lots of flavors. Serve with dips of your choice.
- Dietary – suitable for low carb, keto, gluten free and vegan diets.
- Fresh Artichoke – These are the fresh uncooked artichokes / global artichokes which you can get from farmers markets, grocery stores, etc.
- Water – for steaming in the Instant Pot.
- Optional ingredients – fresh lemon juice will help stop oxidization, butter, and garlic for making a dipping sauce.
How To Choose Artichokes
Here a few tips on how to choose the perfect artichokes.
- Look for bright green artichokes that have tightly packed leaves. These are the freshest and best ones you can get. Their leaves open up as they lose freshness.
- Make sure the artichokes feel heavy when you pick them up for their size. Lighter ones have dried out a bit.
- When you squeeze them, artichokes should squeak, which means they are fresh.
How To Prepare Fresh Artichokes
These need a little prepping before cooking artichokes in Instant Pot.
- Place artichokes on a cutting board and cut the stem of flush at the base of the artichoke with a sharp knife.
- Then carefully cut off a little bit of the top of each artichoke.
- Use kitchen scissors or serrated knife to carefully remove the tips /thorns off remaining outer leaves.
- Rinse artichokes, try and separate the leaves a bit so the water can get in to remove any debris caught in the leaves.
How To Cook Artichokes In Instant Pot
Get the complete ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
- Prepare artichokes – trim and wash them.
- Add water into the Instant Pot insert and then add in the steamer insert.
- Place trimmed artichokes on the steamer rack, put the lid on the Instant Pot, and turn the valve to the sealing position. Set to high pressure and select pressure cook / manual pressure for 14 minutes.
- When done, carefully quick release the remaining pressure, remove artichokes, allow to cool for a few minutes before serving with a dipping sauce of your choice.
Note: Cooking time does not account for the time that it takes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure or for the pressure to release.
To Boil On The Stove Top
- Half fill a saucepan with salted water and bring to a boil.
- Add in the artichokes and let the water return to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 25 to 30 minutes or until you can easily pull a leaf from the center.
How To Steam Artichokes
Want to steam them instead? Then head on over to this how to steam artichokes post to find out more.
Recipe Notes, Tips And Variations
- Do make sure to quick release the pressure, otherwise the artichokes will overcook and turn to mush.
- Try and cook the artichokes of the same size together so that they cook at the same rate. Larger artichokes will need a little longer to cook than smaller artichokes.
- The artichoke is done when you can easily remove a leaf without much pull. Test at the 25 minute mark and then test every few minutes until done.
- Do not eat the choke part – see more info about this below.
- Some folks recommend cooking the artichokes upside down – so the steam gets through the leaves. Come back and tell me if you try it.
- Squeezing lemon juice on the cut surfaces of prepared artichokes will slow down oxidization (aka stop them from changing color and looking unappealing).
How To Serve And Eat An Artichoke
- You can serve these Instant Pot Steamed Artichokes whole – just pull off the leaf one at a time and dip the white fleshy part in your favorite sauce. Scrape off the fleshy parts and then discard the remaining leaf.
- Alternately, you can slice them in half before serving and still pull off the leaves and dip them in the sauce. Scrape off the fleshy parts and then discard the remaining portion and eat artichokes.
- What is important is that you cannot eat the choke. Scoop the choke out using a spoon (see photo below, the choke is on the teaspoon) and discard, and then eat the tender inner hearts #bestbitever.
- Artichokes can be eaten both hot or cold.
This depends on the size of the artichokes or the Instant Pot. I can get 3 medium-sized artichokes (about 12-13cm) into an 8qt Instant Pot, It is best not to try and squeeze too many in if you can avoid it.
This depends entirely on the size of the artichokes. Smaller whole uncut ones cook in about 8-10 minutes. Medium whole uncut ones, like the one I used here (about 11 cm, and three-quarters of a pound), cook in about 13-14 minutes. Adjust for larger ones up to 18-20 minutes.
You find them in season from March to May.
You can get them from the grocery store or from your local farmers’ market.
Dipping Sauce Ideas
Serve these with your favorite dipping sauce or garlic butter or some flavored olive oil, dijon mustard sauce and lemon wedges or lemon slices try one of the ones below.
Weight Watchers Points
Without dipping sauce, there are 0 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of this.
More Instant Pot Vegetable Ideas
- Instant Pot Buttered Cabbage.
- Instant Pot Carrots.
- Instant Pot Corn On the Cob.
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
- Or get all my Instant Pot Recipes here.
Tools You Need
- An awesome Instant Pot.
- The best Instant Pot Accessories.
- Measuring cups and spoons.
- A sharp knife for cutting.
- Mixing bowls.
Thank you for reading my Artichokes Instant Pot recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue to slice, dice and dream up affordable Air Fryer recipes, Instant Pot Recipes, Southern Recipes and more. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, food blog.
Get The Instant Pot Artichokes Recipe
Don’t forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Instant Pot Artichokes! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Instant Pot Artichokes
- 3 artichokes
- 1 cup (237ml) water
- Prepare, trim and wash the artichokes.
- Add water into the Instant Pot insert and then set the steamer rack on the bottom.
- Place artichokes on the steamer, put the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the valve to the sealing position. Set to high pressure and select pressure cook / manual pressure for 14 minutes.
- When done, perform a complete quick pressure release, open the lid, remove artichokes, and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving with the dipping sauce of your choice.
- Do make sure to do a quick pressure release, otherwise the artichokes will overcook and turn to mush.
- Try and cook artichokes of the same size together so that they cook at the same rate.
- The artichoke is done when you can easily remove a petal without much pull. Test at the 25-minute mark and then test every few minutes until done.
- Do not eat the choke portion!
- Squeezing lemon juice of the prepared artichokes will slow down oxidization (aka stop them from changing color and looking unappealing).
- Without any dipping sauce, there are 0 WW Blue Plan SmartPoints in a serving.