So it seems that I am starting the year with this hearty Instant Pot Beef Stew. And that is totally because it is coooooool outside, the fire is roaring inside, I am all snuggled up under fleeces and blankets and all my brain wants is cooooooooooooosy stews.
So yeah – this Instant Pot Beef Stew it is.
But before I dig in to the recipe can I ask how your Christmas was? Hopefully as food and fun-filled as ever? Mine certainly was.
We had – family come from as far as Edinburgh and Devon, 2 Christmas dinners to accommodate said family, 2 present opening sessions, some good long walks to work off excessive food, cousins all catching up with each other, a bit too much to eat and drink, relaxing afternoons when we could do nothing because it was raining and anyway it was getting dark soon so we might as well call it a day, and a mammoth monopoly game, which carried on so far that someone had bought jail, chance and community chest, and someone else had ‘banker’ debt status, which meant he could borrow as much as he wanted.
In short, a perfect time. And this beef stew made its appearance at least twice. It did not actually have to, as the super organised foodie in me had made huge batches of my Five Spice Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup and easy Egg Curry and Jollof Rice to feed the gang. But I just could not resist the pull of my Instant Pot. Sad right?
Need an Instant Pot?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet, you might not understand the pull of the Instant Pot… and I think you should fix that right now by getting this Instant Pot DUO Plus 6 Qt 9-in-1 Pressure Cooker. You will love it sooo much. Promise.
Why this Instant Pot Beef Stew is Awesome
- It is easy to make – more about this below
- It needs only 10 ingredients all of which, you already have in your pantry
- It is great for feeding a crowd
- Leftovers freeze very well – so that is a few weeknight suppers sorted
- It allows you to use that Instant Pot you got given over Christmas or Thanksgiving
- Plus, it is beef stew, beef stew peeps. End of
How To Make Instant Pot Beef Stew
Let me tell you a little secret here. This Instant Pot Stew is the easiest to make. Seriously.
Option 1 – aka the super eeeeeeeeeeeeasy way. Take all the ingredients, add them to the Instant Pot, press the stew button, wait till done and hey presto tuck right in. See I told you. Easy.
Option 2 – aka the slightly less easy way. Ie, brown the meat first (in the Instant Pot), before frying the veggies for a few minutes. Then add all the rest of the ingredients and cook as per option one. OK so this only adds about 7 mins of cooking time to your stew but that browning of the meat adds such an amazing extra depth of flavour, that it is worth doing if you have time.
All the veggies in the Instant Pot.
More Stew Recipes
Easy Instant Pot Recipes
Hey Instant Pot lovers I have got your back with these extra Instant Pot recipes which you can check out below.
Vegan Instant Pot recipes round up
How to Freeze Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Let the beef stew cool down then transfer into these very handy Ziploc freezer bags.
- Squeeze out all the extra air and seal the bags.
- Label the bags and then lay them flat in the freezer.
- Store the beef stew in the freezer for 3 months.
How to Thaw Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Remove the beef stew from the freezer the night before needed and let it thaw in the fridge.
- For a faster thaw, you can add the bagged stew into a microwave and thaw according to the microwave’s instructions.
- Transfer the thawed beef stew into a bowl and reheat in a microwave.
- Or transfer the thawed soup into a saucepan and reheat over low to medium heat.
Weight Watchers Points in Instant Pot Beef Stew
There are 10 Freestyle Points in a serving of Instant Pot Beef Stew.
The Ultimate Guide to the Instant Pot
To learn everything you need to know about the Instant Pot, check out this post: Instant Pot Review – The Ultimate Guide to the Instant Pot.
Thank you for reading my Instant Pot Stew recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
**This post contains affiliate links.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Instant Pot Beef Stew! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 900 g beef cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 potatoes cubed
- 4 carrots cut into thick rounds
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 500 ml beef stock hot
- 60 ml tomato passata
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt to taste
- Add all the ingredients into the Instant Pot insert mix, cover the pot and set the valve to seal, choose the stew setting and allow to cook till done.
- Let the steam release naturally about 10-15 mins before opening. Or you could do the quick release method if you prefer your stew faster.