These Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are your next favourite supper! They’re fresh, flavourful and so easy to make thanks to the Instant Pot. Suitable for Gluten-Free diets. Post includes Weight Watchers points.
Folks, are you ready for some awesome tacos??? How about tacos loaded with flavourful shredded chicken breast made conveniently in the Instant Pot which you will then top with your favourite taco toppings for taco perfection?
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are especially perfect for those looong summer days when the last thing you want to do is turn on your oven…
But you also want the BEST meal ever because you’ve been outside in the warm summer heat all day long and you are really hungry.
So, ideal solution here. Come in from your summer fun, whip up the shredded chicken breast ingredients, toss them in your Instant Pot, set the timer and go back outside to enjoy the gorgeous weather. Your Instant Pot will cook your meal whilst you’re enjoying the last minutes of sunshine and then you and the whole fam can come back inside to assemble your tacos.
Does it get any better than that?? I don’t think so. Now that I’ve convinced you that you MUST make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos, let me show you …
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos : What You Need
KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES NEEDED
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my disclosure.
Here are some of the items you will need to make these chicken tacos.
- 8 qt Instant Pot.
- 3 qt Instant Pot or 6 qt Instant Pot depending on family size.
- Cutting board.
- Shredders or forks to shred your chicken.
- Tongs .
- Measuring jugs or cups or measuring teaspoons .
- Bowls with covers.
- Meat thermometer.
- Use please this to check the internal temperature of the chicken.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos Step by Step
Step 1. Add stock to the Instant Pot insert.
Step 2. Add chicken breast in the stock.
Step 3. Mix together, salsa, seasoning, coriander (cilantro) and lime zest (if using – highly recommended for the best flavour).
Step 4. Top chicken breast with the mixture.
Step 5. Close pot, set valve to sealing, select the manual or pressure cook button (dependent upon IP model), select high pressure and set the timer to 8 mins for thin breasts or 10 mins for thick breasts. (Note: My chicken breasts were 4 cms/0.4 in thick and I used the 10 min timing.)
Step 6. Do a NPR and then take out the chicken and shred it with a fork.
Step 7. Sauté the remaining liquid till it reduces in about half, switch off heat and add the shredded chicken back in.
Chef’s Tip: This step adds moisture to your shredded chicken and helps better infuse flavour.
Step 8. Assemble tacos with your toppings of choice.
Look at that shredded chicken…
Tips for Making Instant Pot Tacos
- For a lighter option, omit the tortillas and serve over a bed of lettuce (romaine is a good choice). This will also make the recipe Keto and Paleo.
- If you’re not gluten-free, you can use wheat flour tortillas if you prefer.
- If you want to make your own corn tortillas (easy to do), follow my How to Make Corn Tortillas tutorial.
- You can make the shredded chicken breast ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Feel free to use another meat like pulled pork.
- To make vegan or vegetarian tacos, try substituting the shredded chicken with my Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Mexican flavours. This is a thick soup that will hold up fairly well in tacos, although you may want to use a slotted spoon to release some of the liquid.
- If you want more awesome taco recipes after trying this one, try my Grilled Fish Tacos with Guava Salsa or my Smoky Grilled Pork Tacos.
Toppings for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Some Instant Pot tacos topping ideas for you:
- Sour cream
- Coriander (cilantro)
Highly recommended: serve your tacos with a delicious Ginger Beer.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
For more chicken recipes why not try these below
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos Weight Watchers Points
I have included the Weight Watchers points for the shredded chicken below. For the tacos, calculate additional points based on the toppings you use.
- 0 Freestyle points per serving
- 3 PointsPlus points per serving
Happy taco-eating, folks.
Thank you for reading my Instant Pot tacos recipe post. And please visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! For more information, check out my disclosure.
GET THE INSTANT POT CHICKEN TACOS RECIPE:
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Instant Pot Chicken Tacos! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- 80 ml 0.75 cup chicken stock
- 3 large chicken breast about 500g/1.1 lbs
- 235 ml 1 cup tomato salsa
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander cilantro, optional
- 1/4 tsp lime zest optional
- 8 Corn tortillas,
- corn, radishes, limes, sour cream, cheese , coriander , avocadoes
- Add stock to Instant Pot insert.
- Add chicken breast in the stock.
- Mix together, salsa, seasoning, coriander and lime zest.
- Top chicken breast with mix.
- Close pot, set valve to sealing, select the manual or pressure cook button (dependent upon IP model), select high pressure and set the timer to 8 mins (thin breast) or 10 mins (thick breast).
- Do a NPR and take out chicken and shred.
- Sauté the remaining liquid till it reduces in about half, switch off heat and add the shredded chicken back in.
- Assemble tacos.