Anyone get a shiny new Instant Pot for Christmas this year??
If you did, welcome to the Instant Pot club. I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say the world is divided into two types of people:
- People who own an Instant Pot
- People who want an Instant Pot (you can solve your problem here by getting this Instant Pot DUO Plus 6 Qt 9-in-1 Pressure Cooker, it is soooooooooooooo worth it).
I have come to this conclusion after analysing the very scientific data provided to me by my WhatsApp messages with friends and family members. Everyone is talking about the Instant Pot.
I’ve been experimenting with all sorts of recipes – new recipes (like this lovely Instant Pot Potato Soup), and also simple favourites made even easier… like the Instant Pot Mashed Potato recipe in this post. (Or ‘Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes’ if you prefer. What do you call them?)
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes: The Need To Know
- These are the fluffiest mashed potatoes you will ever have #truefact
- They are ready in less than 25 mins.
- 5 everyday ingredients make this awesome recipe.
- Minimal prep and even better minimal work.
- You can easily double or triple to feed a crowd.
- These can be made ahead – for easy entertaining.
- They are gluten-free and highly adaptable.
Best ever side dish, right? Perfect for Sunday lunches, Thanksgiving, Christmas and when you need a big bowl of comforting carbs.
Instant Pot Mashed Tools
KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES NEEDED
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my disclosure.
Here are some of the items you will need to make this recipe.
- 8 qt Instant Pot
- 3 qt Instant Pot or 6 qt Instant Pot depending on family size.
- These sturdy pyrex bowls are perfect for serving.
- These measuring jugs or cups are very perfect for what you need.
- Use these lovely measuring teaspoons to measure out your flavourings
- Sea Salt Flakes <= amazing salt that makes your food taste good.
- Bowls with covers.
- Store leftover food in these.
Make This Instant Pot Mashed Potato Recipe, Step by Step
Ready for easy? Let’s get started.
Step 1. Add potatoes (see my ‘Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Tip’ section below for a tip on potato size), water, and amazing salt to Instant Pot. Cover and seal.
Step 2. Select the ‘Steam’ programme and set the timer for 12 mins.
Step 3. When the steam cycle is complete, do a Natural Pressure Release (will take about 15 mins).
Step 4. Drain water, leaving the potatoes in the Instant Pot bowl. Joyfully mash with a potato masher. (I can’t be the only one who finds mashing potatoes to be relaxing?)
Step 5. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix. If desired, add additional ingredients (see ‘Instant Pot Mashed Potato Add-Ins’ section).
Serve immediately, or you can put the lid back on the Instant Pot and use the ‘Keep warm/Cancel’ function to keep your mashed potatoes warm for hours.
(If you make this Instant Pot Mashed Potato recipe and have any leftovers, I highly, highly, highly recommend that you make Mashed Potato Pancakes.)
Instant Pot Mashed Potato Add-Ins
Feel free to get creative with this Instant Pot Mashed Potato recipe. This recipe is a good base, but try add-ins to taste like:
- Parmesan cheese
- Other herbs like chives or parsley
You can also sub the butter with ghee or coconut oil for a different flavour.
Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes Tips…
When you make your Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, make sure the potatoes are roughly the same size. If you have very large potatoes then cut them in half. This will ensure all potatoes are cooked evenly.
To reduce the time it takes for your mashed potatoes to get to pressure, preheat the liquid first in the inner pot using the sauté setting on high. Do this before you place the lid on the Instant Pot and before you select the manual setting. (This is a life-changing Instant Pot tip.)
… And An Awesome Instant Pot Tip
I learned this tip recently from a friend of mine and I am sooo excited to share it. It’s such a simple tip but so good to know.
Ready for it? Buy a second sealing ring and use one sealing ring for sweet foods and one for savoury foods. The sealing rings tend to pick up flavours and odours, so you don’t want to use the same sealing ring for all your recipes.
The sealing rings are inexpensive, and this will ensure your Instant Pot brownies recipe isn’t contaminated by your Instant Pot onion soup recipe. (Onion brownies… nooooo thank you.)
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes For A Crowd
You can easily make enough Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes for a crowd. Just triple the number of potatoes you use in your Instant Pot. Just add a couple of mins to your cooking time.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes With Cream Cheese
Fancy that instead, then simply add in some cream cheese when mashing.
Make These Into Vegan Mashed Potatoes
If you would like vegan mashed potatoes instead, no problem. To make vegan mashed potatoes, use a dairy-free butter spread instead of butter and almond milk instead of double cream.
Leftover Mashed Potatoes
If you are lucky enough to have some leftover mashed potatoes, then why not make these leftover mashed potato pancakes.
Some questions you might have….
How Long Does It Take To Cook Mashed Potatoes In An Instant Pot?
f you use the steam cycle then it will take 12 minutes of cooking time, plus time for the pressure to build up and then later release.
How Do You Make Instant mashed potatoes fluffy?
Weight Watchers Points in Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
There are 6 Freestyle Points in a serving of Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
More Potato Recipes
The Ultimate Guide to the Instant Pot
For everything you need to know about the Instant Pot, check out my post: Instant Pot Review – The Ultimate Guide to the Instant Pot.
Thank you for reading my Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
** This post contains affiliate links
Get The Instant Pot Potatoes Recipe
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Instant Pot Mashed Potato Recipe! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Instant Pot Mashed Potato Recipe
- 1.4 kg (3lb) potatoes peeled and washed
- 1.2 litre (4.25 cups) water
- 3 tbsp butter (dairy-free butter if vegan)
- 3 tbsp double cream (heavy cream) (almond milk if vegan)
- 1 small spring onion (scallion) finely minced (optional)
- Add the potatoes, water and 1.5 tsp salt to the Instant Pot bowl.
- Cover and seal the Instant Pot.
- Select the steam programme, set timer for about 12 mins and let cook till done.
- Allow the Instant Pot pressure to reduce naturally, this may take about 15 minutes.
- Drain the water and leave the potatoes in the Instant pot bowl.
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher till they are done.
- Then add in the butter, double cream, minced scallion (if using) and season with salt to taste and mix.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Make sure the potatoes are roughly the same size.
- If you have very large potatoes then cut them in half.
- You can add some cream cheese, parmesan or other herbs like chives, parsley to your taste.