So, these Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes (Instant Pot Yams) are all about indulging my orange vegetable madness which I have not done for looooooooooooooooooooooooong while.
Seriously, what is up with that.
Ok, ok, it may also be a little bit about indulging in my rather shiny newer Instant Pot because well it is new, but the primary reason is my sweet potato recipe madness. Just getting that out there.
Sweet potatoes are a massive freezer and pantry staple with me – just check out my super easy five spice sweet potato and carrot soup, chocolate chip sweet potato waffles and baked sweet potato pancake to see.
Plus, I like that sweet potatoes are savoury on one hand. BUT with a little change in ingredients aka a dash of maple syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon etc, you could just as easily tuck into a dessert. Best food ever right? Kinda like drop everything and make this recipe right now.
Why Cook Sweet Potatoes in an Instant Pot?
- Well, because you have an Instant Pot :). So why not
- (If that above sentence does not apply to you yet, I recommend dropping everything right now and getting one… yes, really.)
- Particularly useful in busier times when you need your oven and cooker free to make other things.
- Because it is extremely quick to do so (less than 30 mins) – quicker than using an oven.
- Plus in general, all foods can be cooked quickly — usually in less than half the time of other cooking methods. Win – win.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Tools
KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES NEEDED
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my disclosure.
Here are some of the items you will need to make this recipe.
- 8 qt Instant Pot
- 3 qt Instant Pot or 6 qt Instant Pot depending on family size.
- These sturdy pyrex bowls are perfect for serving.
- These measuring jugs or cups are very perfect for what you need.
- Use these lovely measuring teaspoons to measure out your flavourings.
- Sea Salt Flakes <= amazing salt that makes your food taste good.
- Bowls with covers.
- Store leftover food in these.
How to Make Steamed Sweet Potato in the Instant Pot
The best thing about this Steamed Sweet Potato recipe is that you need only 2 ingredients. No lie peeps. 2 Ingredients aka, sweet potato and water.
- First, you add water to the Instant Pot bowl
- Add in the steaming rack
- Then place the sweet potatoes on the steaming rack
- Cover and seal the Instant Pot
- Select the steam programme, set the timer for 12 mins and that is it.
- Serve with toppings including a little dash of amazing salt.
Tips to Make The Perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Tip 1. The cooking time may vary a bit depending on the size of your sweet potato. I tend to use smaller sweet potatoes. Medium to larger sweet potatoes can take anything from 15-18 mins to cook. Try 12 mins the first time you cook some and see their doneness. And adapt the cooking time on the next go.
Tip 2. If using bigger sweet potatoes, I suggest you halve them lengthwise before steaming as this will cut down on the cooking time – because sometimes you don’t want to have to wait for 18 mins.
Tip 3. Do let the pressure come down naturally as that extra time cooks the potatoes perfectly
Tip 4. Do make sure to scrub the sweet potatoes clean as you don’t want to be tucking into gritty potatoes.
Tip 5. To reduce the time it takes for your Instant Pot sweet potatoes to get to pressure, preheat the liquid first in the inner pot using the sauté setting on high. Do this before you place the lid on the Instant Pot and before you select the manual setting. (This is a life-changing Instant Pot tip.)
What to serve the steamed sweet potato with?
Well, sky is the limit with this one. You can serve it with anything you prefer. Trust me I have had these with everything.
I have served these Steamed Sweet Potatoes with yoghurt (coconut yoghurt if vegan) and paprika, cinnamon butter, cranberry butter, West African Groundnut Spicy Chicken Soup, chicken curry, roast lamb, mashed into sweet potato cakes, a dash of maple syrup and just eaten straight up plan with nothing else needed.
Yeap, sky is sooooooo the limit with this recipe.
Weight Watchers Points in Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
If you use small sweet potatoes (about 60g / 2.1 oz each), there are 2 Freestyle points per serving.
Easy Instant Pot Recipes
Hey Instant Pot lovers, I have got your back with these extra Instant Pot recipes which you can check out below. Knock yourself out.
Vegan Instant Pot recipes round up
The Ultimate Guide to the Instant Pot
To learn everything you need to know about the Instant Pot, check out this post: Instant Pot Review – The Ultimate Guide to the Instant Pot.
So here is how to make these Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes. Please do try them and if you do make it, then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes. You can also share it on my Facebook page.
Thank you for reading my Steamed Sweet Potatoes recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
**This post contains affiliate links.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes (small) scrubbed
- 250 ml water
- Add water to the Instant Pot bowl.
- Add in the steaming rack and then place the sweet potatoes on the rack.
- Cover and seal the Instant Pot
- Select the steam programme, set timer for about 12 mins and let cook till done.
- Allow the Instant Pot pressure to reduce naturally, this may take about 15 minutes.
- Open, remove the sweet potato and serve.
- Cook time does not include time to come up to pressure or for pressure to release.
- The cooking time may vary a bit depending on the size of your sweet potato. I tend to use smaller sweet potatoes. Medium to larger sweet potatoes can take anything from 15-18 mins to cook. Try 12 mins the first time you cook some and see their doneness. And adapt the cooking time on the next go.