Instant Pot White Chicken Chili recipe is a warming, filling, and comforting meal. Plus it is so easy to make entirely from pantry staples and great for weekly meal prep.
This recipe is naturally Gluten-Free. Post includes a Low Carb option and Weight Watchers Points.
This Instant Pot White Chicken Chili will be the best recipe that you’ll make this week. I hundred percent know this because I have triple cooked and taste-tested it for you and it turns out perfect every single time. Yeap, only the best one pot meals for you guys.
Easy White Chicken Chili
The great thing about this absolutely delicious White Chicken Chili Instant Pot recipe is that it comes together in less than 30 minutes with everyday ingredients you probably already own and minimal prep. Everything goes in and the Instant Pot does the rest.
It is that easy to make for the whole family for dinner tonight #instantpotforthewin.
And like my best easy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup, Instant Pot Chili and Instant Pot Ground Chicken Chili, the awesome thing about this White Chicken Chili is that it ticks the chili boxes of being comforting, hearty, and filling and great for dipping corn chips into. All the things that great chilis are known for!
But on the other hand, it is also light and healthier making this the perfect meal all year round, summer, winter, and every kind of weather in between. What’s not to love?
And if you would prefer a regular stovetop White Chicken Chili then I have got that here on the blog too. I have got you covered.
Why Make This Recipe
- You can double or triple this recipe to feed a crowd.
- Can be made ahead of time plus make a big batch and turn into a freezer meal.
- It is immensely adaptable (especially if you are not bothered about keeping it white), add other quick-cooking veggies as you please.
- It has no tomatoes, so less acidic (and great for people who can’t eat tomatoes).
- Add another cup of chicken broth to convert into a white chili soup.
Key Ingredient Notes
- Chicken – This recipe calls for fresh or defrosted boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. I use fresh chicken breasts rather than frozen chicken breast.
- White Beans – this uses drained canned white beans. If used dried beans instead of canned beans you would need to precook them first
- Chicken broth – you can use homemade or store bought broth, plus you could swap in chicken stock or veggie broth instead.
- Corn – you can use canned corn or frozen corn for that little extra sweetness and bulk.
- Spices – Oregano, fresh garlic or garlic powder, cumin and chili powder give this its great flavor – add more or less of these to your taste and add in other spices to your taste. I love adding diced jalapenos to taste to this but skip these when making it for kids.
- Onions – red, white or yellow onion add a great flavor and texture. These can be fresh or frozen. Feel free to use onion powder instead.
So gather up those ingredients and I will show you….
How To Make Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Get the complete ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
- Set your Instant Pot to Sauté and add in the olive oil until hot.
- Add in the chopped onions and sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add in the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally for up to 5 minutes until it is lightly browned (To use cooked chicken instead, omit this step and add cooked chicken with the rest of the ingredients).
- Add in the stock and quickly deglaze the inner pot (by scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon) in case anything is stuck on.
- Add the rest of the ingredients ending with the beans (on top). Do not stir.
- Cover your Instant Pot, set the vent to sealing, select pressure cook/manual pressure set the timer to 5 minutes, and let the chili cook under high pressure until done.
- When done, let pressure release naturally (NPR) and before serving.
Make It In A Crockpot
To make this in a crockpot, follow the non-Instant Pot recipe until the end of step 3. Then transfer everything to your slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- To make the prep work for your white chili even more simple, you can buy pre-cubed chicken meat, or just ask your butcher to cut into cubes for you. Make sure it’s cut into bigger size pieces.
- For the best results and great meat texture, you want to let the pressure release naturally.
- Use leftover rotisserie chicken instead. Shred chicken and set aside. Cook the rest of the soup as usual, then add in shredded chicken at the end.
- This recipe calls for cannellini beans, and garbanzo beans but you can use other white beans (like navy beans, great northern beans black-eyed beans to your taste). Make this dish your own.
- Add more veggies – I love adding bell peppers to this.
- Make it creamier – add in some cream cheese at the end.
- Swap the meat – You can easily use turkey instead of chicken if you prefer.
- Like it hot? Add extra chili powder, red pepper flakes and more canned chilis. Or omit altogether for a mild chili.
Like many heart stews, this Instant chicken chili tastes even better the next day.
- Storing – Stored properly in an airtight container the fridge, this will last about 4-5 days.
- Freeze – Follow the handy tips below on how to freeze this. Let stew cool down then transfer into these convenient Ziploc bags. Squeeze out all the extra air and seal the bags. Label the bags and then lay them flat in the freezer and store for up to 3 months.
- Defrost – Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Yes you can. Just increase the cook time by 1-2 minutes.
Can I Make A Low Carb Version
To make a low carb version of this Chicken Chili recipe, you’ll need to substitute the high-carb beans with black soy beans which are naturally low in carbs. Or skip the beans altogether.
You can mash some of the beans with the back of a spoon to thicken the white bean chicken chili if you prefer. Or you can sauté it for a few minutes if you want it thicker.
In The Mood For More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes?
Other Mexican chicken inspired meals include my family’s fav Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas, really easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken and the best ever Instant Pot Chicken Tacos and dreamy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is amazing too.
Also check out this really perfectly cooked juicy Instant Pot Chicken Breast , seriously the best juicy Instant Pot Chicken Thighs, or Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts for days when you forgot to get these out of the freezer.
Serving Suggestions and Topping Ideas
You can serve this easily with tortilla chips, lots of shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, plain greek yogurt or sour cream, cream cheese, avocado, Guacamole, pickled jalapenos or green chilis, radishes and more as you like. It goes great with a squeeze of lime juice or lemon juice.
Weight Watchers Points
If you replace the olive oil with a calorie-controlled cooking spray, there are 0 (yeap, zero!) Blue Plan SmartPoints in a serving.
- An awesome Instant Pot.
- Handy mixing bowls.
- Measuring cups and spoons.
- A cutting board.
- Bowls with cover for storing leftovers.
Originally published Dec 2019.
Get The Instant Pot White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe
Don’t forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Instant Pot White Chicken Chili! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 diced onion 1 cup (52g) frozen diced onion
- 1 pound (450g) boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped (fresh or defrosted from frozen)
- 1 ¾ cup (415 ml) chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or more or less, to taste
- 28 ounces (2 X 400g cans) white beans cannellini beans or garbanzo beans
- ½ cup (90g) corn kernels
- 1 small jalapeño chopped, or to taste
- Set your Instant Pot to Sauté and add in the olive oil until hot.
- Add in the diced onions and sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add in the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally for up to 5 minutes until it is lightly browned.
- Add in the broth and quickly deglaze the inner pot (by scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon) in case anything is stuck on.
- Add the rest of the ingredients ending with the beans on top. Do not stir.
- Cover your Instant Pot, set the vent to sealing, select manual pressure/high pressure and set the timer to 5 minutes
- When done, allow for a complete natural pressure release (NPR).
- Optional step: you can mash some of the beans with the back of a spoon to thicken the chili if you prefer. Or you can sauté the chili for a few minutes if you want it thicker.
- Garnish and serve.
- My recipe uses cannellini beans, but you can use other white beans (like black-eyed beans to your taste). Make this dish your own.
- You can easily use turkey instead of chicken if you prefer.
- Like it hot? Add extra cayenne pepper. Or omit altogether for a mild chili.
- Cook time does not include time to come up to pressure or for pressure to release.