You see those cardamom biscuits in the picture above?
I ate every single one of them as soon as I finished photographing them.
They were light and delicately fragranced with cardamom, lemon zest and lemon. How is this for a subtle hint to OH? Mother’s day is coming…….
These were completely inspired by the whole bean vanilla biscuits recipe posted by Emma at the baking blog Poires Au Chocolate. She makes me breathe, sleep and dream dessert. Check out her blog so that she can do the same to you.
Lemon and Cardamom Biscuits – Simple and Delicious
I came across her drool-worthy post whilst browsing for some biscuits to make for an impromptu tea party. Not having any vanilla bean on hand I used my 2 main pantry staples for dessert – lemon and cardamom. These can instantly transform any fruits, yoghurt, cream and baked items into a scrumptious dessert.
Making the Lemon and Cardamom Biscuits dough was easy. The harder bit was not eating it all before baking. The first time we made these, mini chef and I sat on the kitchen floor eating balls of dough whilst rather ‘tunefully’ singing row row row your boat. Luckily our tea guests were game for the lions, crocodile and polar bears we saw along the way.
Do you know what one of the best things about this Lemon and Cardamom Biscuits recipe is? You can roll out the biscuits and pop them in the freezer for a few weeks. Bake them fresh straight out of the freezer whenever you want. Perfect for that afternoon cup of tea that you soooooooo deserve.
Thank you for reading my cardamom biscuit post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Here is how to make this Lemon and Cardamom Biscuits recipe. Please do try it and if you do make it then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes. You can also share it on my Facebook page.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Lemon and Cardamom Biscuits! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Lemon and Cardamom Biscuits
- 50 g caster sugar
- 100 g of cold unsalted butter
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 125 g plain flour
- Place butter and sugar in the food processor and pulse until they are combined into a creamy paste.
- Then add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, cardamom, baking powder, salt and flour and pulse again till well mixed and all the ingredients start forming into big clumps.
- Grab a walnut sized portion of the dough between 2 small sheets of baking parchment paper and flatten into an oval shape using your rolling pin. Emma recommends having the cookies at between 5-7mm thick. Repeat till all the dough is shaped into cookies.
- Then chill the shaped biscuits for about 30 min. At this stage you can also freeze them for later use.
- Pre heat the oven to fan assisted 150 / 170 C/ 340F gas mark.
- Lay biscuits on baking tray and bake for between 8-10 mins till they are a lovely pale golden colour.
- Remove from oven and let them cool on the baking tray for about 5 mins.
- Then carefully transfer them to a cooling rack, cool and then enjoy.