The first time OH suggested making this particular lemon chicken recipe, I kinda thought he had lost it a bit.
Don’t get me wrong I love my pantry staple lemon and I like chicken and I do cook these two together regularly. But this combination sounded a bit weird.
Then he made it. And I was completely hooked.
Marinating the thinly sliced chicken overnight definitely makes the pieces tender and succulent. The cornflour gives them the right sort of crispiness. And the lemon sauce, well that’s just yum.
Now he has a different battle – keeping me and mini chefs from nicking the crispy fried chicken pieces as they come out of the wok.
Well, he can’t complain too much. He did get us eating lemon chicken.
Thank you OH.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Lemon Chicken! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
For the chicken:
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) skinless chicken breast fillet
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 spring onion scallion very finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- 90 g (3/4 cup) cornflour (corn starch) or plain flour
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
For the lemon sauce:
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp chicken stock or water
- 1/2 tsp cornflour cornstarch or plain flour
- Cut the chicken into small slices and leave in a bowl.
- Then add in the soy sauce, rice wine, spring onion, ginger and garlic and mix together well.
- Marinate in the fridge for a couple of hour or preferably over night.
- Remove the marinating chicken from the fridge and mix in the egg lightly.
- Then carefully discard the excess egg and coat the chicken pieces with the cornflour.
- It might be easier to coat the chicken pieces by transferring them to a plastic bag along with the cornflour and shaking them together.
- Fill a wok approximately 1/4 full of oil for frying and heat until a piece of bread dropped in turn golden brown in 10 secs.
- Add about a third of the chicken pieces all separated and fry them mixing constantly for up to 4 mins until they are golden brown. Remove them and drain.
- Reheat the oil and fry the next third and then the final third of the chicken until all are golden brown and cooked.
- Remove the oil from the work
- To make the lemon sauce:
- Reheat the wok over medium heat.
- Combine all the lemon sauce ingredients together.
- Transfer to the wok and stir constantly until the sauce has thickened.
- Add in the chicken pieces and stir until coated with the sauce.
- I like serving this with rice and stir fried greens.