Specifically, a Bundt cake. More specifically a lemon lavender Bundt cake. I don’t know about you. But I am. Because cake makes EVERYTHING better.
Big storm knocking over some trees which know out the power lines do no electricity for a whole day – have some cake. Car not starting because someone (erm erm the troublemaker elf) left the lights on overnight – have some cake. Missing a very important meeting because you got stuck behind the slowest tractor in the world, which meant missing the train – well go back home and have some cake. Favourite ever dragonfly necklace lost somewhere –– two slices of cake and it is all ok.
Yeap, this lavender and lemon Bundt cake is responsible for a whole load of better. I am seriously considering renaming it the make everything better cake.
I actually developed this cake up as a pre summer get-together treat for my girlfriends. I got given this really smart barista style coffee machine which makes the most amazing and frothy cappuccinos, café lattes, espresso etc. I know this as I have made endless cups of cappuccinos and café lates over the last few weeks. Pressing the buttons on my new machine is just as addictive as the coffee and the cake itself.
So my plan is to whip up this lemon lavender Bundt cake as well as some rose and pistachio shortbread cookies, brew a whole load of tea, offer every single style of coffee the machine can churn out (coffee geek in me has figured out that it might be 144 different combinations), dot some funky metallic nail varnish and pampering products around the place and settle back for a rather lovely catch up session. Nothing can beat that, right?
I love the floral scents and taste of lavender – and it works really well with the fresh lemon. And it has just the right flavours for the start of summer. Florally, light, zesty and with the promise of the sunshine that (we all hope) is to come. Pretty much everything you need in a spring cake right?
And if you like Bundt cakes why not check out this orange bundt cake with rich, gooey salted whiskey caramel or this soured cream Bundt cake with butter glaze from BBC Good Food.
Here is my recipe for my make everything better cake aka a lemon lavender Bundt cake. I hope you make it and love it as much as I do. And please do tag me If you do share it on Instagram and Twitter.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Lemon and Lavender Bundt Cake! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Lemon and Lavender Bundt Cake
- 250 g (8.8 oz) softened unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the bundt tin
- 200 (7 oz) caster sugar
- 250 g (8.80z) plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp dried lavender
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 3 large free-range eggs , at room temperature
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Lemon Lavender cake:
- Preheat the oven to fan-assisted 160C / 180C / 350F /gas 4. Thoroughly butter the inside of 2.3l bundt tin and flour it too.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, lavender and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, Cream the butter and sugar, using a hand mixer, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, taking care to beat well after each addition. Beat in the lemon juice and zest.
- Using a metal spoon, carefully fold in the flour mix.
- Spoon the cake batter into the prepared Bundt tin, smooth the top, then bake for 35-40 min or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake to cool in the tin for 10 mins before cooling completely on a wire.
- Sprinkle on some icing sugar, lavender and lemon zest before serving.
Please pin me: