A refreshing maple tossed rhubarb salad with strawberries, basil and puy lentils which is perfect for barbeques and summer entertaining.
Trailer jumping off fun.
This lovely trailer kept the girls entertained for hours on end at a local art show. One of those perfect toys, you climb on one end, run up and jump off the other end. And do it again. And again. And again. Then more people saw them and joined in. And more.
Of course, there was the inevitable disaster. Should have predicted it really but there we are. Too many children on one side of a trailer that looks like a see saw, what do you think will happen? You’ve got it, it falls over. Rather fast. Luckily no injuries but still, the game had to slow down.
And of course, the best way to make sure everyone stays happy is to feed them well. After fun, food. That was one of the best bits of advice I ever got. So here is the salad I luckily had ready.
The salad is super simple and full of some serious summery flavours. I am talking fresh strawberries, basil, rhubarb, cherry tomatoes and radishes. Add in some puy lentils and the sweet maple balsamic salad dressing and the flavours just come together perfectly. So perfectly that we ate most of it before I remembered to photographed it. Yeap.
Here is my tempting maple tossed rhubarb, strawberry and lentil salad and please share your photos with me on instagram if you do make it.
Maple tossed Rhubarb, Strawberry and Lentil Salad
Rhubarb strawberry lentil salad:
- 175 g (6oz) puy lentils
- 1/2 a rhubarb stalk thinly sliced
- 1 small punnet of strawberries halved
- 100 g (3.5oz) feta cheese cubed
- 12 cherry tomatoes halved
- 6 radishes quartered
- 2 spring onions (scallions) sliced
- 1 large handful of basil leaves
Maple balsamic salad dressing:
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Cook the lentils according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside to cool.
- Mix together all the salad ingredients.
- Combine the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.
- Toss till everything is well combined and serve.
Serves 4 as a side. Adapted from Green Kitchen Stories.