This is one of the simplest, healthiest but bursting with flavours meals to put together.
And when the garden is full of juicy ripe tomatoes, I make it again and again. And OH makes his observation ‘ can you believe this tomato was only picked 5 minutes ago’ again and again and again. I don’t have the heart to tell him he says that every time and he probably does not have the heart to tell me that I make this tomato salad all the time.
It is essentially a healthy salad recipe with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella all topped with some pesto. For this recipe I have used a parsley pesto. But any pesto will do.
So what are you waiting for?
This is the final recipe in my pantry staple spotlight on tomatoes. Please also check out the slow roasted tomatoes with herbs recipe.
Mozzarella and Tomato Salad with Parsley Pesto
For the parsley pesto:
- 25 g (1 oz) Parsley
- 25 g (1 oz) Parmesan cubes
- 25 g (1 oz) roasted cashew nuts
- 1/2 garlic clove crushed
- Ground black pepper
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
For the tomato salad:
- Fresh tomatoes as many as you want
- Fresh mozzarella cheese as much as you want
- Dry roast the cashew nuts and dry until they are golden and then transfer to a cool container immediately (or they will keep cooking on the hot frying pan).
- Put parsley, parmesan, cashew nuts, garlic cloves, salt and pepper into a food processor and whiz into a paste.
- If you like your pesto chunky then whizz for a shorter time than you would if you want it smoother.
- Transfer paste into a container and slowly drizzle in olive oil mixing all the time till pesto is saturated. I added in about 50mls for this amount which is more than normal. But I was using an outdoor growing parsley that was a bit tough. If you have softer parsley you might use less oil.
- Adjust seasoning and set aside.
- Slice the mozzarella and tomatoes and arrange them in a salad bowl.
- Top with the pesto and a drizzle of olive oil and serve with some warm crusty bread.