I am starting to think that my recipe work is purely holiday led. So, if I wake up in the morning and start dreaming about going to Sierra Leone, then I will whip up an African recipe. A few weeks back Sri Lanka was the flavour of the day – hence a Sri Lankan inspired curry.
Last week it was Mauritius, so a Mussels and King Prawn Rougaille (a classic Mauritian Recipe) it had to be. Especially as I pretty much had everything on hand to make the Rougaille.
What is Rougaille
Rougaille, is a classic Mauritian recipe. Basically, it is richly flavoured tomato sauce combining Creole cuisine flavours like onions, thyme, garlic, chillies, and well, of course, touches that are personal to each family. The Rougail Saucisse works well with meat, fish, paneer or eggs so can be adapted to different dietary requirements. This version of Mauritian Fish Rougaille is so very good.
How to make Rougaille
What to serve with Rougille
This time I served the Mussels and Prawn Gougaille with some flatbreads and lots and lots and lots of sweet juicy yellow baby plum tomatoes. You can also serve it with this Gluten Free Instant Pot Brown Rice. Simple and so very good.
Have you tried a Seafood Rougaille? Have you ever tried Mauritian food? Did you enjoy it? What was your favourite dish?
For more Mauritian recipes why not check out this Coconut Encrusted Pineapple and Fish Kebabs with Mango Salsa recipe. It is so, so worth it.
Here is how to make Mauritian Prawn and Mussels Rougaille recipe. Please do try it and if you do make it then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes. You can also share it on my Facebook page.
Thank you for reading my Rougail Saucisse recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Originally published in Feb 2017, updated Jan 2018.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Mussels and King Prawns Rougaille! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Mussels and King Prawns Rougaille
- 1.5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper deseeded chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp mild chopped chilli
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- A handful of coriander chopped and divided
- 400 g (14oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) vegetable stock
- 500 g (1.1lb) king prawns
- 500 g (1.1lb) mussels cleaned
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, chilli, thyme and half the coriander and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Then pour in the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the mussels and cook for 2 minutes, before also adding in the prawns. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the both the mussels and prawns are cooked through.
- Serve with rice, rotis and a salad.