Peeps, I FINALLY made this one pot chicken and rice recipe with caramelized onions, cardamom and barberries. It has ONLY been 2 years since I bookmarked this from Ottolenghi’s cookbook Jerusalem, but life seems to have got in the way and it never went from book to plate.
I know, I know, you don’t have to tell me that I am making a big song and dance about it. Because I know that I am. Heck, this whole food blog is an entire song and dance about my love for food, cooking and all that. So, one little extra food and dance is all good right?
This one pot chicken and rice recipe with caramelized onions, cardamom and barberry rice is full of some of my favourite flavours. If you have been reading my ramblings over the last few years, you would know that cardamom is one of my desert island takes. Less know is that fact that I love and, like all Sierra Leoneans, cannot live without eating rice two or three times a week.
Put these together with caramelized onions and tart barberries and the result is something seriously awesome in my mind. Reason number 5,203 why I love Ottolenghi. Oh and cardamom. And now this easy chicken and rice recipe.
How to make this simple One Pot Chicken and Rice
Soak the barberries in sugar syrup as otherwise, they will be too sharp. Then season the chicken so that you get maximum flavour through the dish.
Then caramelise the onions (soooooooo much flavour) before setting aside and wiping the pan clean. This makes it easier do the next step aka brown the chicken without any burning. Afterwards, drain any excess oil before adding in the rest of the ingredients (minus the herbs), cover and cook on low heat for 35 mins until done.
Switch off the heat and stir in the chopped herbs and adjust the seasoning and serve hot or warm with the yogurt mixture as you prefer.
I have made this both with the chicken, but also without just serving the plain caramelized onions and cardamom with barberries, dill, coriander, sliced avocadoes, roasted cashew nuts and a herbed yoghurt, which worked very well. So feel free to swap out the chicken for other ingredients to suit your family or guests diets.
Now, enough writing and more eating. Oh,chicken and rice one pot meal with caramelized onions, cardamom and barberry, why did I wait so long to make you?
Here is how to make this one pot chicken and rice. Please do try them and if you do make them then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes. You can also share it on my Facebook page.
Thank you for reading my one pot chicken and rice recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Post originally published Feb 2017.
- 30 g (1oz) sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 30 g (1oz) barberries
- 8 chicken legs skin on
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 cardamom pods split
- ⅓ tsp whole cloves
- 4 tbsp olive oil 1 large onion finely diced
- 300 g (10.5oz) basmati rice
- 550 ml hot water
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander cilantro
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- To serve 100g (3.5oz) Greek yoghurt mixed with 1 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp mixed chopped herbs and salt.
- Mix the sugar and water in a small pan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Switch of the heat, stir in the barberries and allow them to soak.
- Add chicken to a bowl, and mix in some salt, pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and half the olive oil, mix well and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a pan, over medium heat, add the onion, and cook for up to 15 mins, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts caramelizing. Remove the onion to a bowl and set aside, and wipe the pan clean.
- Re-heat the pan again, add in the chicken mix and brown them for about 5 mins on each side and remove them from the pan, leaving the spices behind.
- Drain any excess oil, before adding in the rice, caramelized onion, salt and black pepper. Drain the barberries and mix them in followed by the browned chicken and boiled water to the pan.
- Cover the pan, and cook over very low heat for 35 mins till the rice is soft. Switch of the heat and stir in the chopped herbs and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot or warm with the yogurt mixture as you prefer.
Very slightly adapted from Ottolenghi.
Please pin me: