Ok, ok. It is properly turning cold now.
Brrrrrrr. This wood burning stove is on at full blast and logs are piled almost higher than my head next to the stove. Thick woolly socks are definitely on and even doubled up and the fleeces are being worn daily.
So now is the time to turn to comfort food. What we want are easy, delicious, filling and sustaining meals. No frills, just some good grub.
One thing I’ve learned through the years is that comfort food needs to be good. And the best way to get good, simple food is to start with good ingredients. You don’t need many (often the fewer the better) ingredients but you do need to spend some thought on making sure they are good.
Plus, you do need to think a bit about being healthy with comfort food. When I’m making comfort food I still want to make sure that I’m making something which has a good proportion of vegetables.
This is why I raided my pantry and fridge and pulled out some leeks, free range chicken and a whole load of spices and whipped up this One Pot Leek and Chicken Rice Recipe.
Why You’ll Love Cooking with Leeks
Can I indulge in a little leek love? I imagine you all nodding your heads with a yes, yes, and YES. Yeap, totally giving you the leek love…..You can’t go wrong with leeks.
- You can do almost anything with them (fry, roast, stew, turn into soup) and they always carry through that subtle yet delicious flavour
- They go with almost everything – from roast beef to pasta
- They are good as a star ingredient (look no further than the recipe below), or as a flavour-enhancing understudy (put some leeks in stock, it really makes a difference)
- Preparation is easy – wash and chop, that’s it
- They are veg (obviously!) so eating them is good for you and make up one of your 5 a day
- Everybody likes them (even children, though a bit of subterfuge is sometimes needed)
- They easy to get hold of in every supermarket or greengrocer
- And you are not reading my blog to just look at lists, are you? You want to get into the real meat and veg of the matter and see what it was I cooked last night…
All the leeks..
Here we are. THE one pot leek and chicken rice dish. Dead easy. Only good ingredients. Delicious. The very definition of comfort food.
How to Make One-Pot Leek and Chicken Rice
The ingredients in this One-Pot Leek and Chicken Rice are things you already have in your freezer or pantry. You need leeks, chicken, rice, stock, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, salt and oil.
I really wanted to keep things simple for this recipe.
Step 1. Brown the chicken
Step 2. Fry some spices and sauté the leeks
Step 3. Put everything else including the chicken back into the pot, cover and cook.
Very simple, very easy, and veeeerrryyyyy good!
Come on guys, you have got to try it. You will love it. I certainly do – I had a good wodge of it last night, and I’m making it again this Sunday when my in-laws are coming to lunch.
Leek and Chicken Rice Weight Watchers SmartPoints
There are 7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints in a serving of this Leek and Chicken Rice.
Even More Chicken Recipes
For more chicken recipes, why not try these below:
Thank you for reading my one pot leek and chicken rice recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try One Pot Leek And Chicken Rice! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
One Pot Leek And Chicken Rice
- Add the chicken to a bowl and season with some salt.
- Add the cumin seeds to the pan and fry for 1 min, before adding the rest of the olive oil, the remaining spices and the leeks and sautéing for 5-7 mins until the leeks are soft.
- Add the chicken and remaining ingredients back to the pot, season with salt, cover the pan, and cook over very low heat for 35 mins till the rice is soft.
- Switch off the heat and serve.
Leek and Chicken Rice Weight Watchers PointsThere are 7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints in a serving of this Leek and Chicken Rice.
Chicken RecipesFor more chicken recipes why not try these below Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup. Instant Pot Shredded Chicken. Instant Pot Chicken Tacos. Delicious Parmesan Crusted Chicken Recipe.