This open-faced omelette topped with roast okra, roast sweet potato and crispy fried SPAM that you see right here, was made in both the UK and Kenya at the same time.
My sister, based in Kenya, and I regularly have a ‘proper’ catch up with a whole load of planning before hand. If we can’t see each other face to face, we make sure we do the next best thing and do it very well. First we plan a menu – often based around some of our favourite African recipes. Then on our agreed date we cook, dress up a little and call each other up on Skype or What’s app before settling down to chat, eat and chat some more.
And for our latest chat we served up this brunch style Sierra Leonean omelette. It is a riot of colour and taste from the caramelised roasted sweet potato to roasted okra, from the crispy SPAM and fresh tomatoes all wrapped up in a fluffy golden and piping hot omelette.
The great thing about this dish is that you can roast the vegetables ahead of time and simply reheat them just before you make the omelette. That way you can make it quickly for breakfast, brunch, lunch or your own girly catch up.
So here is how to make the perfect omelette all topped up with a riot of flavours Sierra Leone style. And if you do make it then please do share your pictures with me on Instagram tagging #recipesfromapantry so I can drool over your version too.
Sierra Leone flavours – is the spot on my blog where I share both traditional Sierra Leonean recipes and West African fusion recipes.
This post is sponsored. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for me to continue cooking up great recipes for you. All opinions are my own.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Open-Faced Omelette with Sweet Potato, Okra and Spam - Sierra Leone Flavours! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Open-Faced Omelette with Sweet Potato, Okra and Spam - Sierra Leone Flavours
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 180C / 200C / 400F / gas 6 and place sweet potato on one-half of a lined tray and the okra on the other half.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 mins for the okra and 25 min for the sweet potato making sure to turn them half way through cooking.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the SPAM pieces for about 5 mins turning them so they are crispy on all sides and set aside.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, season with salt and pepper and whisk the eggs with a fork until well mixed.
- Heat an 8 inch frying pan over medium heat and melt a small knob of butter until melted and sizzling.
- Add a quarter of the egg mixture, immediately tilting the pan so the mixture spreads evenly over the pan.
- Cook for up to 2 mins until the omelette firms up, the edges are crispy but it still looks slightly wet on top (as the omelette will keep cooking for a little while).
- Transfer the omelette unto a plate and serve immediately topped with a generous portion of roast vegetables, crispy spam, rocket and tomatoes.
- Repeat three more times with the remaining eggs and each time serve as soon as the omelette is cooked.