This orange and cardamom cake with a orange and cardamom whipped cream is the perfect Christmas cake recipe.
This orange and cardamom cake with a orange and cardamom whipped cream has been one year in the posting. Since last Christmas when my sister (on a visit from Kenya) and I ate every single slice over a three day period. Oh yeah.
We caught up, played with the kiddoes, played endless rounds of bananagrams, decorating the Christmas tree (including with Freddy Krueger), exchanged the best presents ever, singing Sierra Leonean Christmas carols, spent hours with our other sister comparing Christmas eats via what’s app, wrapped up ward during our long long walk, shopped till we dropped in the Christmas sales, all in between eating slices of this cardamom cake, spiced orange shortbread and drinking chai tea. The perfect Christmas right?
The cardamom and orange flavours in this sponge cake are perfectly complemented by the lightly flavoured whipped cream. Plus it is such fun for the kiddoes to decorate it with the pomegranate and orange peel. I miss last Christmas.
Sadly my sister will not be visiting this year. However, I intend to bake this cake, eat a few slices and reminisce about that perfect time I had with my sister. Just one way to make this Christmas even better.
This is the first recipe in my pantry staple spotlight in cardamom. Please be sure to check the other recipes out.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Orange and Cardamom Cake! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Orange and Cardamom Cake
For an 8 inch cake:
- 175 g (6oz) self-raising flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 175 g (6oz) very soft butter
- 175 g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
For the orange and cardamom whipped cream
- 480 ml (2 cups) whipped cream
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1-2 tbsp icing sugar
- Large pinch ground cardamom
- Seeds from half a pomegranate and Orange peel slices, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 150 C / 170C / 325F / gas 3 and line and grease two 20 cm / 8 in cake tins.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cardamom and orange zest in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix with an electric hand mixer until well combined and very smooth. The mixture should be of a dropping consistency but if it is not, add a little water.
- Divide the cake batter between the two cake tins and gently level with a spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before turning them on to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the whipped cream by mixing all the ingredients together in a large bowl and whipping till the cream forms soft peaks
- Then transfer one cake onto the serving tray and spread half of the cardamom and orange cream on top. Then place the second cake on top and spread the remaining whipped cream on top. Then decorate with pomegranate seed and orange peel strips and serve.