Plantains chips make an absolutely delicious snack. I used to spend an absolute fortune buying plantain crisps from markets but now make my own as they are quick to make too.
All across West Africa, fried plantains are served as snacks or starters and as a side dish to foods such as jollof rice, roast chicken or grilled fish. Sometimes they are served as the mains to mop up some peanut or bean stew.
The green ones are unripe (but can still be cooked with), the yellow ones are firm and sweeter and the black ones are super ripe and very sweet when cooked.
So please try these plantain chips or my other fried plantain recipe and please leave a comment below about how you like yours.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Plantain Chips! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
- Peel and thinly slice plantains.
- Salt them and mix very well.
- Heat some oil for deep frying.
- Fry the plantains in batches till they are golden on one side then turn them over and fry the other side.
- Note that the second side cooks much quicker than the first side.
- Serve by themselves or with a dip.